40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels >

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 06-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 567 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra marty View Post
Wow, I just finished reading this 31 page, 5 year project, 1200+ comment thread.
I learned a bunch.
So many questions. I love the project, high speed diesel powered.
--
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks for any help.
Marty
Thanks for reading all 31 pages. Ya could have probably skipped to page 30 and likely came to same conclusion. Drive options are the weakest link.
The rare M7 is great option. But from what I saw a couple months back, the #7 upper gearset wasn't designed for big torque. See pic.

While the only true 1:1 upper produced, the 27/28 teeth look pretty skinny compared to the 21/23 sets I picked up from an M8 couple pages back. So long as your not making over 1200lbft, I don't see a problem. Plus higher propshaft speed with lower pitch prop will likely work well to lower prop slip numbers.

As for engine choices, I was actually considering swapping a 6 leaker into the original Duramax Warlock boat a decade ago. Now after driving one for past year, the Ford 6.7L with reverse flow heads is my next target. No exhaust manifolds to make or marinize is very attractive.

Good luck with the build and feel free to ask if you need any input.
The following users liked this post:
hogie roll (Yesterday)
Old 06-11-2021, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply.
You make some great points and suggestions.

Was considering the 6.0 because it is cheap and readily available. But by the time you add in a set of water jacketed exhaust manifolds $3.5-4k and bell housing adapter $1k, the 6.7 is looking more favorable..

The 6.7 has a SAE 2 bell housing pattern and like you said center exhaust. These 2 features greatly simplify the install.
Now need to find a tuner and make the ecu standalone.
Only need about 3500-3700 rpm and 900-1000tq max.
Boat previously ran 100mph with 750hp/tq supercharged 502efi.

So just need a SAE 2 or 3 bell housing to trans and #6 gimble for the M7 drive.

Last edited by cobra marty; 06-11-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:39 AM
Registered

Late to this post but awesome build. Are you port or otherwise injecting water into engine also?
Wildman_grafix (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cobra marty View Post
Thanks for the reply.
You make some great points and suggestions.

Was considering the 6.0 because it is cheap and readily available. But by the time you add in a set of water jacketed exhaust manifolds $3.5-4k and bell housing adapter $1k, the 6.7 is looking more favorable..

The 6.7 has a SAE 2 bell housing pattern and like you said center exhaust. These 2 features greatly simplify the install.
Now need to find a tuner and make the ecu standalone.
Only need about 3500-3700 rpm and 900-1000tq max.
Boat previously ran 100mph with 750hp/tq supercharged 502efi.

So just need a SAE 2 or 3 bell housing to trans and #6 gimble for the M7 drive.
Exactly. Those little things add up. I've ran Dmax setups with Bravo's and transmission, or light duty and medium duty SAE rear covers. I prefer the SAE housing.

Tomorrow I'm going to check out a 97 Fountain Fever 29 for my next personal diesel build. Might even drop some EV hardware in it for a short bit just to mess with people. But then I have a 2020 Dmax setting on the floor looking for a home. Would prefer a newer version of the Fountain stepped hull, but this one comes with XR drive and no engine, and first decent priced 29 single I've seen show up in a while.
hogie roll (Yesterday)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Prototype X View Post
Late to this post but awesome build. Are you port or otherwise injecting water into engine also?
Only when the turbos suck in some seawater spray.. Duramax pistons are not known to like water injection. Pistons suffer thermal shock issues by default. I've considered it in the past, but never tried water/meth injection on a diesel boat.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kidturbo View Post
Only when the turbos suck in some seawater spray.. Duramax pistons are not known to like water injection. Pistons suffer thermal shock issues by default. I've considered it in the past, but never tried water/meth injection on a diesel boat.
I'll have to check with some of my truck pulling buddies and see what they do with their duramax. I have been tractor pulling for years with a DT466 international. I burn approx 1.25gal fuel and almost 3 quarts water in 20sec pass. Engine would melt down in 5 sec without water.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

prototype X -- what kind of power levels are you running with the DT 466? always thought they would make great boat engines...
Old 06-12-2021, 09:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by delsol View Post
prototype X -- what kind of power levels are you running with the DT 466? always thought they would make great boat engines...
1250hp with 3x4" single charger intercooler. My setup would not be practical for boat but you could make a dependable 500hp. I thought about doing the same. There are tons of performance parts out there. I run a lighter class so I de stroked a 466 and widened the bore to get airflow through head/larger valves. Would be pretty good setup for less torque more hp so it didn't destroy running gear in marine application. Biggest issue is keeping them cool but in a boat, it's much easier.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

A 5.9 Cummins can make a dependable 500hp in marine form... i would think the 466 should be able to push 7-750 with a large aftercooler. as far as driveline it would need to be marine transmissions with a surface drive -- arneson, france helice, fixed shaft...something that can take the torque...

sorry Kid I'm getting off topic -- Can't wait to see your extension boxes complete!
Old 06-12-2021, 11:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by delsol View Post
sorry Kid I'm getting off topic -- Can't wait to see your extension boxes complete!
Na it's all good. Anything diesel related is interesting to me. If I've learned anything from all this tinkering, utilizing all the cooling capacity available in a marine diesel "correctly" is sometimes tricky. Ya have at lest 4 different systems your trying to cool, with one or two pumps. The charge cooler always gets first dibs on water. On these engines they knock down 500F turbo air to sub 100F while drinking about 80gpm. But then everything down stream gets a randomly preheated cooling supply. So it's not easy getting all the systems up and operating within their optimal temp ranges, never the less, all the time. Need a plumbing engineer just to draw it all up for ya. Then it's a best guess.

All the pieces for the extension boxes are cut and waiting for me in Sarasota. I'll be back on it with pictures Monday. Just need to find a good aluminum welder / fab guy now to piece it all together and we will be good to go. Any suggestions? Hogie..

Injectors came back from cerakote last week. Hope they hold up good as they look. Was the only Rusty piece on the whole build. So that wraps up the pump failure pieces to get Stbd going again.

hogie roll (Yesterday)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.