40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels >

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 05-13-2022, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 786 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Baller View Post
sounds good you can have it for the cost of shipping if it would help you.
I'd heard some years ago those had an issue with cracking, reason they went to the alum. But if ya knew where to find another one I'd be interested in testing them.

Got first assumptions from a Bullseye Performance tech today on the compressor failure. He said it had sucked something into the turbo, and that caused the wheel to explode. Also stated the adjustable map ring or bell / velocity stack showed signs it was incorrectly aligned and was causing the wheel to touch the compressor housing. Ok Einstein, your getting that shrapnel filled air filter sent to you for a Dunce Cap on Monday..

I sent them a couple pics of the air filter, because after the compressor exploded, it certainly could have sucked something through those gaping holes. But at that point, nothing was spinning.. And the bell on both turbos had been frozen for over a year. They are mating threaded alum pieces with 3 set screws. Last time I tried to turn em, even with a strap wrench, I quickly gave up and moved on. That compressor explosion had no trouble knocking the bell freaking sideways.

Once again we are dealing with a drag racing equipment manufacture, to whom a long time equals about 7 seconds. The company owner is going to call me Monday, so guess I'll offer to fly him down to Sarasota to take some lessons on performance marine operating parameters. These turbos are rated to produce up to 1200hp, as where the S475 Borg units are done at around 800hp. We noted that on the dyno. So our options are petty slim when it comes to a suitable replacement. But risking another compressor failure, which just sent a pile of alum dust thru the engine isn't what I want to deal with either.

The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (05-14-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 03:35 AM
Registered

Received 786 Likes on 269 Posts

Here is a short composite video from last outing, right before the turbo failure. Was focused on capturing some gauge data and trim to form a baseline with the drives raised 2" now. So I slowed some of it down so ya can read the gauges.

Goal was get an average at 55-60mph, then again at 70-75mph. Never got around to that second part, but it felt good with less engine load at that lowest cruise speed..

18x34 Pitch 4 blade props, and 1.15:1 final drive ratio, for those who would like to check the math.

The following 2 users liked this post by kidturbo:
Gimme Fuel (05-16-2022), resurrected (05-16-2022)