Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels >

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 09-05-2022, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

Thanks guys. Was very nice to meet so many followers of this project over the weekend. Lucky for me, ran into some online friends soon as I arrived Friday morning. Had to swap out a fuel lift pump on Stbd that morning, and the extra hands a shop vice was just the ticket. Dropping in at the bridge ramp also isn't setup for solo launching.. But it all worked out great with a little help.

Started off the weekend trying the 17" x 34P 4 blade loaner props from Delsol. Haven't tried those blades since the #6 swap. They never hooked up on the Weismanns, and seems those blades just don't like this boat.. After a few attempts at getting on plane, we pulled her right back onto the trailer and changed back to the 18" x 34's we'd been running all summer. The 17's wouldn't hook up at all, and the 18's didn't wanta break free to spool up in the fresh water. Even with the vent tubes fitted correctly, it was a 2 circle dance to get them spun free.. However once they finally came loose, she popped right up, setting a new personal best with a 91mph blast according to the GPS.

Saturday morning I made some slight tune adjustments. Added torque down low [to get the props loose], and set the max injector pulse width up from 1500us to 1700us. Which according to our logged boost values, she'd been operating right around our 800hp max to date. The tune changes bumped top end power back up to the 9-950hp range we ran on the dyno.

So rather than make a pass right off the dock Saturday morning, I decided to idle out of the no wake zone and make sure she would at least get up on plane with the new updates. Changes worked great, she jumped right up on plane, shifted gears, and then outa the blue, Port engine lost fuel pressure above 3200R.. Was fine the day before, but acted just like the Stbd engine did the week before. Sucking air into the fuel from somewhere... While checking the LCD to verify it was a low rail pressure issue, I let Starboard engine do all the hard work. Cruising at about 68mph for a mile or so, before heading back into the race course.

Tied off with some wonderful people on a pontoon near the milling area and attempted to diagnose the Port lift pump. After an hour or so with no resolve, said heck with it, dove off the back just to get cooled down. Which didn't really work out, because 30 minutes after returning to the dock, I found myself chilling with ice packs on my head in the medical van.. Met more great people once again. Even offered to IV me back into racing condition if I wanted. But after a nice soak in the AC, I check myself out right before the afternoon rain started..

That evening I returned to the boat and started addressing the Port lift pump issue. I fired up Stbd to charge the batteries since no shore power on B dock. That's when I noticed the small cooling system issues under high boost I thought I'd resolved in Florida, had returned. What originally showed up on the dyno 3yrs ago above 900hp, and lead to changing the heads out 2yrs ago, just surfaced again. A couple months back I started having weld cracking issues with the coolant tank on Stbd. So ditched the Evan$ waterless coolant for some good old antifreeze and water, along with a bottle of BlueDevil block sealer tossed in there, to hopefully fix the annoying cylinder pressure leak above 45lbs of boost. While all looked good in Florida running 800HP tune, to moment I turned em up, it cut loose again.. This time making bubbles at idle. Not good...

As a last ditch attempt to make a pass on Sunday, I ran to the local parts store and grabbed another bottle of head gasket and block sealer. Dumped that in, let it idle on the dock for a bit, then headed out from Ron's at sunset to see if my fuel pump adjustments worked at least. Didn't take long to get the answers. She jumped up on plane, Port engine stalled out at 3300R, and Stbd blew the over temp alarm a few seconds later. Turned her back for the dock, and called it a weekend by 9PM.. Could have probably swapped the fuel pumps between Port and Starboard, drained all the coolant from Stbd system, and got her up on plane long enough to make a single engine pass Sunday Morning. Would been Ok I guess to set a 70mph diesel record on a single engine. But wasn't really why I drove 1200 miles to get there anyways.

Had a great time for two days, so figured why end it with an engine meltdown after all this work. By 9AM Sunday she was loaded on the trailer and rolling Eastbound. Beat the rain out, but missed the whole pontoon rodeo event... Even had my favorite big caliber pistol onboard Voodoo. If I'd only taken the time to read the event schedule, could have won one award at least... LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by kidturbo:
Gimme Fuel (09-06-2022), Jtime (09-27-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 12:27 AM
Registered

The following 7 users liked this post by kidturbo:
2187 (01-30-2023), Gimme Fuel (09-06-2022), Griff (02-05-2023), hogie roll (09-06-2022), hoodoo (09-06-2022), Kefurr (09-21-2022), underpsi68 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

I appreciate you letting us follow this project. Out of curiosity is this all your working on or are there other projects as well?
Old 09-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flat rate
I appreciate you letting us follow this project. Out of curiosity is this all your working on or are there other projects as well?
This project has certainly taken up a good part of my awake time over the past 6,, years.. But during the down time, I design and build some custom electronics found tucked under the dash of other very fast boats, air boats, and off road vehicles. Add a couple other lower hp marinized Dmax builds tucked in there. One 550hp in a very cool Northwest style aluminum jet boat.

After LOTO, I'm really wanting to start on my next project that got put on hold for five years back. A 1000+hp electric inboard shootout toy. Originally wanted to do Fountain 29 with ASD8, but now I'm thinking 26' cat would be the better choice. Retromod an old Warlock or American Offshore is my first choice. Cause I see no good reason someone hasn't laid down a 150+ pass in an electric boat yet. And I was offered all the hardware to do it back when I first started this project. Since Voodoo is in the final stages of testing, over the winter I hope find a suitable donor to get started on.

Last edited by kidturbo; 09-21-2022 at 11:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kidturbo:
Gimme Fuel (09-22-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (12-19-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 11:58 AM
RyW
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates?
Old 12-01-2022, 02:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RyW
Any updates?
Both engines are out setting on their stands. Have the heads off of starboard engine, and found one side head has a 0.010in warp to it. Gasket was leaking good between cyl 4&6. Other side looks straight, and under 0.004in out of square. Block deck is good and under 0.002in clearance on the old straight edge. Everything else on the top end, along with the pistons look great.

Learned that block and head gasket sealer is way harder to clean up than it's worth..Stuff is like antiseize, that dries to JB weld harness once it hits air. Sticks to powdercoat well, and purple power won't touch it..

That's the latest.. Oh yeah, it's freaking cold outside...

Last edited by kidturbo; 12-01-2022 at 02:41 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by kidturbo:
2187 (01-30-2023), bulletbob (02-24-2023), Gimme Fuel (12-01-2022), hogie roll (12-02-2022), kreed (12-01-2022), resurrected (12-01-2022), RSCHAP1 (12-01-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

91! Can’t think of faster diesel boat. Not many faster no pad straight V bottoms either.
The following 2 users liked this post by hogie roll:
2187 (01-30-2023), kidturbo (12-05-2022)
Old 02-03-2023, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 368 Likes on 104 Posts

I have good pair of charger cores for Voodoo, Holset HE500 mechanically controlled VGT turbos. 64mm compresspr, 78mm turbine stock, you can find right compressor to fit your engine air flow, HE500 can be modified to different compressor, we did that to my friend Mercedes Benz OM606 engine with smaller HE400.
These have shaft speed sensors also. Nozzle actuators are 6bar units and they can be controlled by compressed air (from tiny electric compressor for example) and propotional valve or just change lower rate springs in and control staright by boost or turbine drive pressure. Low and high position stop screws is nice extra increment also.
I can sell these for cores or fully modified specs you want. Sad thing is one Atlantic ocean between us, shipping cost can be quite high.
Holset HE series can make 1bar boost with out engine load, just rev engine up and put nozzle area to smallest position, I have done that for test purpose. I think VGT chargers can give you longer rpm range under boost, bigger turbine wheel and housing can be used so turbine drive pressure will be lower.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:27 AM
Registered

Dang, wished I would known about those a few months back. Never knew of VGT built in that size. Of course we have been focused on the Borg platform, to stick with our open scroll V-band setup on the turbine side. I bet those could be converted to electronic control easy enough, with an actuator off a benz.

However I just pull the specs again, we are currently running 87x80mm turbine in a 1.00AR housing. Our drive pressure is actually a bit low, at 1:1 in midrange, which was causing some surge. They have anything that relative size in VGT?

Old 02-04-2023, 04:51 AM
Registered

Received 368 Likes on 104 Posts

Scania D13 have electronic controlhe500, it might have different wheels. Probably I have one disassembled unit and can take measurements. They are controlled by CAN bus, some company from Island make standalone contoller for those.
The following users liked this post:
kidturbo (02-04-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.