Old 04-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1,786 Likes on 703 Posts

Wow.
Very nice.

im looking at systems for mine.
i want fuel flow too.

Originally Posted by kidturbo
On the navigation side [which is what the MFD was purchased for before I found all the other cool stuff it does], we have latest Navionic maps running with AIS overlay. I forgot to mention above that these new MFD's can actually do dock to dock routing, rather than straight line routing across reefs and sand bars. Pretty much same as a car GPS, it will set multiple waypoints to a destination based on your draft, height, and beam, then follow channel markers. About Time....

Rather than buy a matching $300 AIS receiver to supply the MFD with surrounding commercial vessel data over the NMEA 2000 network, I found this Simrad RS35 VHF on sale for $189 with built in AIS receiver and N2k compatibility. Works great, but doesn't transmit on AIS, so your vessel speed and heading doesn't show up on other AIS receivers. Perfect.. LOL.. And it also looks to be a decent VHF radio. I took the VHF and Axiom MFD a ride down the river road in my truck to see how well they work together. Told me I was about to be ran over by a barge..

Old 04-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
im looking at systems for mine.
i want fuel flow too.
Most of the new MFD's will give you decent fuel usage calculations based on a couple different values. That's gonna be this little Axiom 7 other primary job.. Playing on the bench I've fed it some simulated fuel tank levels, along with twin engine fuel rates, and it seemed to calculate DTE and GPH pretty accurately.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:36 PM
Registered

Spent today mocking up steering hose routing. It's getting tight inside these boxes. And we still need to route the cooling lines for gear / drop boxes. Next pull the driveshafts again and clamp all these hoses to the transom somehow. Ah yeah, need driveshaft loops, tubes, or some way to make sure these lines don't get wrapped up if it snaps a U-Joint...

Old 04-26-2019, 01:31 AM
Registered

Few more pieces of the puzzle coming together.

Injectors are all in, with couple changes to the fueling and wiring layout. New Airmar transducer installed, which was certainly interesting in a cored 24deg bottom.

Then we chopped up the old seawater strainers for the second time. Honed out the inlets to mate up with 1-1/2" 316L SS shut off valves, Outlets are now full 1-1/4" with -20AN for quick connector on the pump. Same as we tested on the dyno. Also added couple new 1" SS pressure bypass dumps / check valves, which are getting a little spring upgrade inside to raise the bypass pressure..

Somehow this boat was factory rigged without any way to shut off the seawater entering the strainers. Guess if you plugged one up with a plastic bag and needed to pull the top, manual must said send your wife overboard to stick couple fingers in the pickup tubes.. Just in case that old manual is still floating around somewhere, I set the valves so you have to turn them off before removing the strainer cap. While on it, adding a set of 3/4" SS valves and garden hose connectors. Now you can even fire em up on a garden hose, or flush the entire system with fresh water. I know, that's some cutting edge chit right there... LOL

More to come.

Last edited by kidturbo; 04-26-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:55 AM
Registered

Interior pieces are starting to make it back. Have a buddy helping out on wiring the small jobs outside the bilge. Fusion head unit is mounted in factory location, and the new JL speakers look to fit the old holes. But still a little to much dust to hang those on for good just yet.

Also received the 4" & 4.5" 316L bends to finish the exhaust. Have a professional stainless welder lined up for next week to handle that task. But if anyone is board, I can still use a hand for couple weeks with wiring, fuel system, trans coolers, steering lines, ect, ect, ect..
PM me for directions..

Old 05-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Registered

Found a highly skilled young welder to help out on the turbo exhaust pipes. Unfortunately he lives 3hrs away. But we accomplished enough over couple days to get the rest mocked up next week.

Had to reduce those 5" tips down to match these 4.5" tight radius outer tube bends. Thinking will mix the water right before the reducers on tips.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:58 PM
Registered

So I got the e-mail message on my phone that you replied to this thread.
I read the content, put down my phone and fired up my lap top.

Had to see the welds on a bigger screen

I've always considered the masters of three trades to be artisans.

Painters.
Machinists/fabricators.
And welders.

Gorgeous.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Registered

This kid just graduated Hobart school in 2017, and I'd to say it was money well spent. He's done a fair amount of 316L in restaurants, but this was his first big stainless jacketed tube job. Once I showed him how they go together, he caught right on. Nice to be able to just hand someone couple pieces of sliced up tube and 10 minutes later get a finished part back. At $150 per bend, and $100 per foot in steel, I'm really happy he caught on quickly..

Since he doesn't mind a little travel, said he can probably some more marine work in the midwest once this one is done.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 PM
Registered

Was nice outside today and I got a couple more of the outer tubes cut to complete the second set 180 Y-pipe. No coping tools here, just good old mark, cut, fit, repeat until everything lines up. Like assembling a 3D puzzle,but you first have to cut out your own pieces.

One last section to add tomorrow. Think I can cut a cardboard template for that one. Here's assembly steps in a much accelerated fashion.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:23 AM
Registered

Cool!

Always wanted to try that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.