Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels >

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 07-26-2019, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Drives and transmissions connected, coolers mounted and plumbed, both engines are primed. Tomorrow we wrap up remaining stuff in the back, like the bilge pumps, then install all the exhaust.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

Good work ! Cant wait to read more on your fist test !
Old 07-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Drives and transmissions connected, coolers mounted and plumbed, both engines are primed. Tomorrow we wrap up remaining stuff in the back, like the bilge pumps, then install all the exhaust.

The crimp on the hydraulic hose fitting in the center of the first picture looks questionable to me, we used to experience that from time to time with our old eaton weatherhead machine. If you just had that hose made whoever made it should make you a new one no charge, we haven't had that problem since switching to gates megacrimp. I know you are a detail person and I am in no way picking this image apart but knowing where this boat is going it would bother me not to mention it.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Registered

Thanks for the heads up on the fittings. I thought that looked weird..

Those are original hoses that came from FightClub's Sterling engine setup, likely about 10yrs old. We just shortened up one end to fit this build. Being they are just a metered dump line to rear of the trans case, shouldn't see any pressure to speak of. But is strange the guys who crimped on the new ends never mentioned it...

Last edited by kidturbo; 07-26-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:56 AM
Registered

Thanks for the heads up on the fittings. I thought that looked weird..

Those are original hoses that came from FightClub's Sterling engine setup, likely about 10yrs old. We just shortened up one end to fit this build. Being they are just a metered dump line to rear of the trans case, shouldn't see any pressure to speak of. But is strange the guys who crimped on the new ends never mentioned it...
the fitting is marked with a dot where the die should be positioned, it probably just slipped a little before the die grabbed it when making the crimp, they probably didn't say anything because that little slip is about a $50 mistake
Old 07-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Registered

Actually that's one of the original hose ends as came with tranny. My guy shortened it on the other end, and thus could have made an extra $50 if he'd mentioned the issue. Now we need a hose stretcher to save it..
Old 07-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Registered

Talking

Actually that's one of the original hose ends as came with tranny. My guy shortened it on the other end, and thus could have made an extra $50 if he'd mentioned the issue. Now we need a hose stretcher to save it..
I've been on the lookout to buy the ever so elusive hose stretcher tool but haven't been able to find one yet ...
Old 07-26-2019, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,831 Likes on 717 Posts

• How much down angle from trans output shaft to drive input shaft?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
How much down angle from trans output shaft to drive input shaft?
Currently about 1/2 to 1 degree offset on Port with drive in highest setting. Just enough to role the U-joints bearings slightly. Stbd side has about 5 deg to the side due to the offset in that gearbox configuration.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How’s goes the battle Kidd?
I was looking at some pics again and I’m curious if there’s a reason you didn’t continue the driveshaft cover up over the yoke and U-Joint. Almost all the way to the trans. I can see how it may be a pain to remove the cover to grease the u joints - but it would be a lot less work to take a cover off rather than to fix glass, resin, paint etc.

Just a thought. Maybe there is other reasons I’m curious is all.

-Ross

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.