40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 09-13-2019, 08:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Here is what I was talking about on the throttles to rockers clearance. Like many parts on this build, I probably spent more time thinking about the design than necessary. But I completely agree with your findings. What fits your hands might not fit the next person at the wheel. And dropping a tab down at high speed is usually frowned upon by the experts...

The other switch placement option was put the rockers above the Simrad, but that displays primary job is as trim indicator. Receiving N2k trim signal from a DriveSync unit, linked to the three buttons on sticks. The button you can't see is a preset level trigger for the drives. Click it and peg it...

Simrad's OS has a popup option for trim changes. Anytime drives or tabs move, it switches pages to display the position. Then switches back to previous page after couple seconds. So putting the rockers above it would have blocked the view whenever ya need it. With this setup, the Axiom 7 MFD in center can be used strictly for more important tasks like navigation, cameras, stereo remote, and tracking fuel economy data.

Thanks for posting the info on the Simrad Pop up settings for the trim. That would be great for the trim settings to pop up then go back to a previous screen. I only have room for Simrad G05s on our boat so screen space is at a premium.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Those are some really nice features, especially the Drive Sync.
Can you use a mechanical input for the Drive Sync or is an electronic sensor required on the drive?

I believe after you guys have some seat time in the boat you’ll want the tab switches in a more accessible location.
On my Tiger once I’m on plane my drive settings rarely change (unless I’m running WOT) however I do have to adjust my tabs as I change throttle settings to control porpoising.
The Baja may be different.

Last edited by payuppsucker; 09-13-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Its been 3 years and 10 days...........time to
Old 09-14-2019, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

I couldn't agree more.

This performance diesel in boat chit sure makes for long wait and see.. I think about how many big projects have been started, but never finished. This one just happens to include a total overhaul of the boat tossed into the mix.

But when I feel down or think there is no end in sight, I just check in on Tyson. His thread started 5 months earlier than this one, with the line; " We are finally in the home stretch of finishing our 50' Skater."
Old 09-14-2019, 07:14 AM
Registered

Ok kids here is quick fix to a factory,, oversight..

This boat came equipped with a KVH Azimuth 1000 [expensive compass] planted top of the helm, on a round pad dead center of the gauges. However I notice two sets of screw holes in the glass, one off center by an inch or two. So I dig out the compass, and the holes off center, are the ones used. But that makes it look like crap with the gauges. And why would they not centered this thing in an area obviously laid up in fiberglass just for such device??

To buff out the helm I pulled the windscreen. And as I was grinding out these screw holes to fill with gelcoat, I get to thinking. That windscreen sure comes back a long way on the sides, could it be?? No... So a quick google search of 40 OL revealed the answer... Someone looks to have forgotten to check clearance of this particular compass with the windscreens in mockup before they committed to molding. First two boats I pulled up, look to have the same offset..

I wanted to scrap the compass anyways, but need to fill this jagged hole. A puck GPS would be perfect, but the Axiom has one built in that feeds everything by N2k. So what would fill the hole without any glass work, not look like crap, and have some piratical use. Extra drink holder,, not a good idea.. Then I noticed I keep laying my phone up there. Once again, internet to the rescue.

How about this 12v waterproof wireless surface mount quick charger??

Old 09-15-2019, 02:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Thanks for posting the info on the Simrad Pop up settings for the trim. That would be great for the trim settings to pop up then go back to a previous screen. I only have room for Simrad G05s on our boat so screen space is at a premium.
Got some power to the helm last night and shot a quick video. This unit firmware isn't the latest or greatest, but I'll bet they haven't change this part. Should see something labeled "Pop-Ups Setup" under "Installation" menu like below.

Don't know about you guys, but I think that little MFD looks Baddass with those throttles...

]

Old 09-15-2019, 03:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Those are some really nice features, especially the Drive Sync.
Can you use a mechanical input for the Drive Sync or is an electronic sensor required on the drive?
You can keep your mechanical / cable setup as we did. Livorsi make a cable adapter to 0-5v sending unit . We mounted those on the transom and just ran short cables. Then I had Mike add the A/D N2k converter to his DriveSync Race unit with trim presets.

You could have all the above N2k features without the drive sync using a Noland RS11 box and 4 Livorsi adapters for little over a grand. But I felt the DriveSync is worthy addition to this build.

Last edited by kidturbo; 09-15-2019 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Got some power to the helm last night and shot a quick video. This unit firmware isn't the latest or greatest, but I'll bet they haven't change this part. Should see something labeled "Pop-Ups Setup" under "Installation" menu like below.

Don't know about you guys, but I think that little MFD looks Baddass with those throttles...

https://youtu.be/Hg6epyuBB10

]

Thank you for taking the time to post this, very helpful!
Old 09-15-2019, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some bling you'll feel but never see. Straight out of the same Ohio shop that produces the QC4v cranks...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558053[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]558054[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]558055[/ATTACH]

Connected to ceramic coated soup bowls. Still equals 16:1cr

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558058[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]558059[/ATTACH]
NIce those are fingers oval bowl pistons i had the same set!
Old 09-15-2019, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 93fountainsig35
NIce those are fingers oval bowl pistons i had the same set!
They passed the dyno test, coated. I hope they hold up as well without any coating. But until someone develops a true monotherm for the Dmax, best option IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.