1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration

Notices

1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration

Old 02-01-2017, 05:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Lectronix
Yes, Dave. Pretty sure we'll be ok. The box is pushing the drive back and that helps. Was yours a single or twin engine?
Single, but the boat had a 7' beam, so maybe that was why the tabs had to be notched.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:04 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scarab 28 - Custom Throttle Box

Throttle box is finished and mounted. The texture was sprayed to match the original dash. The original throttles were polished and restored. The new location of the box & trim switches is ergonomically perfect.
Attached Thumbnails 1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration-screen-shot-2017-02-07-9.47.24-pm.jpg  

Last edited by Lectronix; 02-08-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Same location I installed mine. Been reading up on your thread. Yes. That hull needs the drive 4" higher. It's the end result of what I got. Great job. You will be very happy with that hull when your done. It's an incredible handeling boat with the right set up. Not sure if you did. But you can sand some hook out of the bottom.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
Same location I installed mine. Been reading up on your thread. Yes. That hull needs the drive 4" higher. It's the end result of what I got. Great job. You will be very happy with that hull when your done. It's an incredible handling boat with the right set up. Not sure if you did. But you can sand some hook out of the bottom.
Thank you! We anxiously await the day it's finished and ready to run (we're getting close). The drive might end up being a 3" shorty, but 2" for sure. According to Dan, he found no hook on the bottom, so it was not necessary. Do you still have your boat?
Old 02-14-2017, 10:42 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

All sounds good. I'd go with the 3" shorty But you may want to try a 5 blade with that if you can get your hands on one to test. What you look to run for HP and upper drive.??? I just listed mine for sale. I owned it for 18 years. Loved that boat. But bought a 36 concept with 350 verados. Time for a chage of pace keep up the great work on the boat. Can't wait to see your end results.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
All sounds good. I'd go with the 3" shorty But you may want to try a 5 blade with that if you can get your hands on one to test. What you look to run for HP and upper drive.??? I just listed mine for sale. I owned it for 18 years. Loved that boat. But bought a 36 concept with 350 verados. Time for a change of pace keep up the great work on the boat. Can't wait to see your end results.
A five blade? Hmmm. The engine hit 682hp at 4900 RPMs & 769 lb-ft at 4000 tested at altitude density of 4,710 feet. I'm thinking it should break 700hp and 800 lb-ft at sea level or even Lake Mead.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First boat I bought. Lots of fun and easy to maintain the important parts. The small craft advisory (warning) was my sign to go out and play. All the cheap crap that was screwed onto the boat kept breaking though. Those plastic storage bins cracked where they were screwed on, the dash binnacle ( or whatever it's called) would pop off, the rubrail screws pulled out. All the things you're fixing...

Last edited by bck; 02-15-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Scarab 28 - Tilt Helm

The Imco hydraulic tilt helm is IN! Looking to install the Clarion head unit control next, then the gauges, then the pop-up indicators.
Attached Thumbnails 1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration-hydraulic-tilt-helm.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 04:09 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Scarab 28 - Engine installation

Can't begin to tell you how many times the engine has gone in and out as a mock-up install to make sure the engine properly sets into the compartment along with all it's accessories. The supercharger and the intercooler were removed to install - and will now be mounted. They have to be removed to lift the engine in/out, but the supercharger and intercooler fit neatly as originally designed by ProCharger. No extended tubes and/or extended intercooler mount.

The diamond plate will be powder coated in red - and we might do the plenum in red as well.
Attached Thumbnails 1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration-engine-bay-2.jpg   1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration-engine-bay-4.jpg   1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration-engine-bay-6.jpg  

1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration-engine-bay-5.jpg   1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration-engine-bay-3.jpg   1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration-engine-bay-1.jpg  

Last edited by Lectronix; 03-05-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:15 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Scarab 28 - Steering Wheel

A Gussi Futura wheel will steer this Bad Boy!
Attached Thumbnails 1989 Wellcraft Scarab 28 Excel - Restoration-fullsizerender-1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.