Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
82 Scarab II Refurb >

82 Scarab II Refurb

Notices

82 Scarab II Refurb

Old 06-20-2017, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Who's doing the rebuild? The owner himself? Qualifications? Most here first question asked is just that. I'd want any newly rebuilt engine to have multiple hours on it before I'd consider buying for peace of mind. Is the current owner willing to do that or does he just want to hand over fresh builds with break in oil (hopefully ) in them ?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not recommend buying it at that price. You would be surprised that you can buy complete boats for $15k now a days.
When you say 90% redone was the transom and stringers replaced through out the boat? If so it may not be a bad deal but you will never get your money back out of it.
Scarabs are notorious for wet and or rotted stringers and transoms. I am currently replacing them in my scarab panther.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, 2 new blocks are 1500 each. set of heads new? 7 to 800 minimum. so, he is spending 4k plus tons of small stuff to sell this boat for 10k? I doubt those blocks are new. new paint? that is for sure...are there even new MK 4 blocks? cuz those cranks won't go into current gen blocks.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 06-20-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owner is doing the rebuild. He has done numerous marine rebuilds himself. He agreed he would have them well broke in before I would buy in order ensure the motor work was done right. I wouldn't buy if it wasn't broke in first. According to him the stringers and transom are in great condition. The boat only supposedly only has 350 original hours on it. This was due to it sitting inside a air conditioned marina showroom for years. The owner now is 2nd owner. But will be able to tell once it sits in water if any transom problems happen. I have seen several scarab II's around from 16k-24k. I like this one because it is local with new power. The blocks are new. I am not sure about the cranks, but will be looking into that asap.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

get a surveyor to inspect the boat.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would agree with dereknkathy
there are several ways to tell if stringers and transoms are wet or rotted. Moisture meter or plastic head hammer
the blocks i would question if they are new, maybe remans. But unlikely new from gm