1989 Sonic 30SS Restoration >

1989 Sonic 30SS Restoration

Notices

1989 Sonic 30SS Restoration

Old 06-07-2020, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1989 Sonic 30SS Restoration

Well the 89 Sonic I have babied for the last 10 years is going under the knife finally. I am doing my best to do more of a restoration than try to make it something it’s not. Have a gel coat repair company taking the boat in for some small gel coat repairs and a full wet sand . Dash panel was pulled and sent to Livorsi and XT innovations will get the interior this week. Any opinions appreciated.

1) on the dash panel I can either get grey, black, or blue carbon fiber then any option of gauges. I have considered a dark dash with either gauges and chrome bezels, or paint the dash back white and use black gauges with chrome rims. Also have new controls, new steering wheel and lighted cup holders coming from them. Thinking about adding Raymarine in dash GPS if anyone has experience. I like it because the fusion integration. Only need for chartplotting. Looked at other brands but it seems like a great bang for the buck system. Livorsi said they are mostly Simrad.

2) interior, trying to decide if I should keep the same colors or change some things up. Maybe lose white for grey or trade one of the shaded yellows out for a grey. What fabric companies do you all like? Could add some blue in stitching or the Sonic logo....

3) looking to polish all the stainless/chrome. What products do you all like?

The following 3 users liked this post by FuelinAround:
larslindroth (06-28-2020), Sydwayz (08-26-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (06-30-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

Nice
Project!

colors: to each is own! Some like all white. Some like flashy colors, some like the newer colors like black silver so on... just make it like you want if you would choose to buy any boat in the market no matter the budget!

good luck!
Old 06-30-2020, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 635 Likes on 293 Posts

Late post response here, but I want to salute you for the good condition you've kept your classic Sonic. The 30SS is a fantastic boat so I'm glad you're keeping her and giving her some extra love. You've probably done your color choices already, and I think the main thing is to keep the classic hues and at the most add one more complimentary stripe color in the yellow/orange spectrum and match the darkest one you got now to that eventual 4th color. Gray in the interior is great, but maybe consider the gray in a silver shade to blend with your brightwork. Marine Metal Restorer & Polish from 3M is a good product since it works excellent on pretty much all marine metals. Best of luck and look forward to see her looking her absolute best again.

Last edited by larslindroth; 06-30-2020 at 02:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by larslindroth:
PARASAIL941 (06-30-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

That is one of my favorite boats.

Gorgeous lines and one of the most functional boats that size/style out there.

PS, what Lars Said.

PS, Ive had two 24’s and loved them.
The following users liked this post:
PARASAIL941 (06-30-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice project!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't get rid of the white entirely. I would replace most of the white with gray like you want to but keep some. Yellow gray and white would look very nice. I thing the gray dash with your gauges you want will awesome. Can't wait to see what you end up doing!