Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Restorations & Upgrades (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/restorations-upgrades-285/)
-   -   32 Active Cat resto-mod (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/restorations-upgrades/350097-32-active-cat-resto-mod.html)

adk61 10-04-2017 08:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by adk61 (Post 4586246)
and these

and these too :rolleyes:

glassdave 10-04-2017 09:00 PM

i always thought the fives were bad azz looking drives, they look tough . . . . like one of those big 'ol Russian tractors with the steel tracks . . . just . . . tough :cool:

adk61 10-04-2017 09:04 PM

next pic... windmills for props? lmao

adk61 10-04-2017 09:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by adk61 (Post 4586250)
next pic... windmills for props? lmao

yup

h2oboater 10-05-2017 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 4585957)
thanks Mark! . . . .i can tell you one thing this boat has a pretty amazing layup considering its vintage. The tabbing joints i cut out on the transom were somewhere on the order of a dozen plus alternating layers of carbon/kevlar/glass and the bulkhead panels forward are CF. Interesting stuff and would love to find out anything i (we) can about this particular hull. The transom was a Baltek and ply mix and the stringers are foam, somewhere in the twenty plus pound density, as far as anything i have cut into anyways . . . .

Mark you'll be happy to know i have a couple Magnum resto-mods this winter as well :cool:

It will be largely unrecognizable when i get done (sorry to all you restoration purests :D)

somewhere i have a piece of tabbing i cut out that was where a tunnel stringer and the transom met and its like counting rings in a tree, this pic was from the face of the inside of transom i believe . . . . .

Dave this will be a interesting rebuild & modification, if it can be done you are the one to do it. When I had my cat I found they had added around 200 pounds of lead shot by the transom to off set the weight off the large fuel tanks along side the cockpit that weighted the bow down. Had I kept mine I would have moved the tanks more to the rear.
I heard you have Pete's old Magnum hull he sold & Greg's Sport also, you are going to be busy this winter...I will enjoy hearing about these rebuilds too !!!!!

adk61 10-05-2017 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 4586303)
Dave this will be a interesting rebuild & modification, if it can be done you are the one to do it. When I had my cat I found they had added around 200 pounds of lead shot by the transom to off set the weight off the large fuel tanks along side the cockpit that weighted the bow down. Had I kept mine I would have moved the tanks more to the rear.
I heard you have Pete's old Magnum hull he sold & Greg's Sport also, you are going to be busy this winter...I will enjoy hearing about these rebuilds too !!!!!

I couldn't agree more... Dave is THE GURU ... 2 cheers for Dave!! glassdave glassdave!! rah rah!!! :nicethread:

adk61 10-05-2017 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 4585957)
thanks Mark! . . . .i can tell you one thing this boat has a pretty amazing layup considering its vintage. The tabbing joints i cut out on the transom were somewhere on the order of a dozen plus alternating layers of carbon/kevlar/glass and the bulkhead panels forward are CF. Interesting stuff and would love to find out anything i (we) can about this particular hull. The transom was a Baltek and ply mix and the stringers are foam, somewhere in the twenty plus pound density, as far as anything i have cut into anyways . . . .

Mark you'll be happy to know i have a couple Magnum resto-mods this winter as well :cool:

It will be largely unrecognizable when i get done (sorry to all you restoration purests :D)

somewhere i have a piece of tabbing i cut out that was where a tunnel stringer and the transom met and its like counting rings in a tree, this pic was from the face of the inside of transom i believe . . . . .

hey Dave I have a 540 blower motor for that Magnum should you wish to do a single BADAZZ set up??

adk61 10-05-2017 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 4585677)
Al will have to shed some light on the history of this hull but it is a very BIG 32 footer and wide body boat as well. I dont know the story with Active but i do know its a Focht design. Its very well built and it very good shape for the most part. The transom was a bad but with any boat this vintage that is to be expected.

Couple pics of when Al got it (and before i cut it up . . . more on that later lol) . . . . . Gangsta' Style . . . . yeah that was the first thing that went lol. i believe that was on it from the previous owner :D

Yes Dave previous owner... I'm no Gangsta... and my boat ain't ghetto either lmao

glassdave 10-05-2017 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 4586303)

yes i have the two Magnums on deck for the winter line up as well as Al's (adk61) kitty . . . . i have one other very very special boat that may be added to the line up. Lets just say i feel like i feel like i have been asked to work on the Shelby 427 Super Snake Daytona . . . . i dont want to divulge details but its THAT special . . . i have one fatgirl in the shop . . . and it will compliment that nicely :D lol . . . finishing up another Miami Vice KV as well.

The Magnums are resto mods as well. Gregs will probably be a hundred plus mph ride :cool: Petes old boat is pretty cool, he did some nice work on that thing. I flipped Gregs upside down to blueprint the bottom, i will start a thread on that one as well.

Al's (adk61) boat will really be pretty much unrecognizable when i get done, that really is a special boat when you get into the original build. For its time i dont think it could be any more "high hech" . . . . lots of good stuff throughout and super solid. . . . i think i am drastically altering nearly every single aspect or feature lol . . . the bustle will be cool

glassdave 10-09-2017 12:03 AM

6 Attachment(s)
as this thing got going we realized that because of how well built this boat was that capping the rubail was do-able and in the grand scheme of things was not as big a stretch as is with many boats. Al's (adk61) boat has the deck and hull fully tabbed all the way around (like BIG time) so it really was a matter of cutting off the shoe box joint and glassing over the seam. the front of the boat between the sponsons was capped from the factory but needed some clean up.