Notices

32 Active Cat resto-mod

Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
So... just to make things clear for me
the guy from toronto brought you this boat to restore it...
he sold it and you are doing the resto for new owner?
or
it still belong to the same first customer and you are starting the project for him?

will follow this tread for sure! Inspiring for my chris cat project!
Not sure of any of that or how it relates but Al has owned it since i have known him. I've had the boat for a while know and have been poking away at, its been a bit of a side burner project between regular workload. Making a steady push to wrap it up so Al can terrorize Lake Simcoe speaking of that man that looks like one hellofa place to be a boater, i was up that way earlier this year picking up a pair of AK Racing cylinder heads . . . if you dont have them . . . get some now! (shameless plug lol)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
So... just to make things clear for me
the guy from toronto brought you this boat to restore it...
he sold it and you are doing the resto for new owner?
or
it still belong to the same first customer and you are starting the project for him?

will follow this tread for sure! Inspiring for my chris cat project!
To answer your question Jeff, yes I (adk61) am still the owner... I decided after a couple of flakey buyers that I would turn this craft into something really trick rather than have the tire kickin keyboard junkies on OSO discredit what is and has always been... an awesome boat!!
Dave and I have collaborated on a plan for this big bad girl, and as illustrated in Dave's cat lineup she's no slouch!! and when done she'll be sporting a pair of my 1100's with beefed up 15" boxes and #5s... I chose this option to save some weight on the back end as 6s are not only expensive, they're heavy... more on this at a later time, I am busy busy busy!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
Not sure of any of that or how it relates but Al has owned it since i have known him. I've had the boat for a while know and have been poking away at, its been a bit of a side burner project between regular workload. Making a steady push to wrap it up so Al can terrorize Lake Simcoe speaking of that man that looks like one hellofa place to be a boater, i was up that way earlier this year picking up a pair of AK Racing cylinder heads . . . if you dont have them . . . get some now! (shameless plug lol)
WOW!! Thanks Dave, yes we have some fun in the sun up here!! it is a helluvaplace to boat.. many spots on the lake for my kittie to cuddle up with other kitties and hotrod boats alike!!

as for Heads,, yup I am a busy guy lol and eager to please those in need...
Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by adk61
To answer your question Jeff, yes I (adk61) am still the owner... I decided after a couple of flakey buyers that I would turn this craft into something really trick rather than have the tire kickin keyboard junkies on OSO discredit what is and has always been... an awesome boat!!
Dave and I have collaborated on a plan for this big bad girl, and as illustrated in Dave's cat lineup she's no slouch!! and when done she'll be sporting a pair of my 1100's with beefed up 15" boxes and #5s... I chose this option to save some weight on the back end as 6s are not only expensive, they're heavy... more on this at a later time, I am busy busy busy!!!
you know this brings up a good point, i have often thought that #5's make sense as an option on bigger 32 foot cats like this one because of the weight over sixes.

Originally Posted by adk61
WOW!! Thanks Dave, yes we have some fun in the sun up here!! it is a helluvaplace to boat.. many spots on the lake for my kittie to cuddle up with other kitties and hotrod boats alike!!

as for Heads,, yup I am a busy guy lol and eager to please those in need...
Prolly shouldn't use the word head and eager to please in the the same sentence Al . . . . . my build threads have been know to spin out a bit lol . . . the ill fated boat painting 101 lol
Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I am just happy there are more "resto mods". I am anxious to see what you do with the windscreen. My aluminum frame and plexi-glass has to go!

Subscribed.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

you know this brings up a good point, i have often thought that #5's make sense as an option on bigger 32 foot cats like this one because of the weight over sixes.

Prolly shouldn't use the word head and eager to please in the the same sentence Al . . . . . my build threads have been know to spin out a bit lol . . . the ill fated boat painting 101 lol
well there's nothing wrong with adding some humor and levity to the thread... let's refer this to a mild drift rather than spinning out lmfao!!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Al will have to shed some light on the history of this hull but it is a very BIG 32 footer and wide body boat as well. I dont know the story with Active but i do know its a Focht design. Its very well built and it very good shape for the most part. The transom was a bad but with any boat this vintage that is to be expected.

Couple pics of when Al got it (and before i cut it up . . . more on that later lol) . . . . . Gangsta' Style . . . . yeah that was the first thing that went lol. i believe that was on it from the previous owner
Dave I can give you a little early history of this cat as I had the sister cat to this one that belonged to Pete Smith, this was his pleasure Wolverine cat not the race boat. The hull you have I believe was hull #1 of the pleasure 32' cats. It belonged to Bud Drettman owner of Active marine in Algonac Mi. Ross Focth built them & who would later takeover Active Marine now Express Marine. It originally was all black with Merc speed II drives. Bud would later sell it to a car dealer here in the Detroit area Terry Mullens he renamed it TRUST ME a fitting name for a car salesman & keep it rack storage @ Miller Marine St Clair Shores Mi. At some time later it became Gangster Style & the speed II were removed. There were about 3 or 4 of these cats made as pleasure boats & about the same as race boats [ Cougar, Motor City Magic] [Gallo ] & [Blue Max]. The Cougar, Magic had the best race history as it won the 1983 worlds in Modified class. Around 1986 we made the Magic into a pleasure cat replacing the race deck with a open cockpit version. My white cat had Kamma drives & was later sold to someone also in Canada,, today ???
Attached Thumbnails 32 Active Cat resto-mod-active-2.jpg   32 Active Cat resto-mod-active-m-588-2-.jpg   32 Active Cat resto-mod-active-ocean%251.jpg  

32 Active Cat resto-mod-active-ocean%253.jpg   32 Active Cat resto-mod-blue-max.jpg   32 Active Cat resto-mod-active-3822.jpg  

Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

thanks Mark! . . . .i can tell you one thing this boat has a pretty amazing layup considering its vintage. The tabbing joints i cut out on the transom were somewhere on the order of a dozen plus alternating layers of carbon/kevlar/glass and the bulkhead panels forward are CF. Interesting stuff and would love to find out anything i (we) can about this particular hull. The transom was a Baltek and ply mix and the stringers are foam, somewhere in the twenty plus pound density, as far as anything i have cut into anyways . . . .

Mark you'll be happy to know i have a couple Magnum resto-mods this winter as well

It will be largely unrecognizable when i get done (sorry to all you restoration purests )

somewhere i have a piece of tabbing i cut out that was where a tunnel stringer and the transom met and its like counting rings in a tree, this pic was from the face of the inside of transom i believe . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails 32 Active Cat resto-mod-17793351_10210218973885497_1611890863_n.png   32 Active Cat resto-mod-17806768_10210218752999975_1095114399_n.jpg   32 Active Cat resto-mod-17813803_10210218746719818_444091901_n.jpg  

32 Active Cat resto-mod-img_0336.jpg   32 Active Cat resto-mod-img_0337.jpg  

Last edited by glassdave; 10-03-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One has to "LOVE IT" when they end up with "the owner's" personal boat!! I'm quite sure a lot of xtra love went into its creation!!!
I'm quite happy with what we've seen in layup structure on this "PHATTY" She is definitely sturdy I can't wait to see more!! and I am at Dave's mercy as I am entrusting him as he is me to bring this dream to life!!
Old 10-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

. . . . .
Attached Thumbnails 32 Active Cat resto-mod-pennywise.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.