Notices

Chris Cat Project

Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Doesn't Jaguar make or did make a 35 CC fast cat fish boat?
not sure, i have not seen one but i dont really know the market. Sure seems like a hell of a good idea especially with the popularity of performance CC's these days. A guy that works for me use to be a pro bass fisherman and did pretty well with it. He told me there is a guy that actually uses a 30 Chris Cat for his tournament boat.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-25-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glassdave thank-you. I'm not changing any of the running surface. It was already very fast. I'm going to maintain the tunnel shape. its actually the easiest way to do it. The V will just extend a little bit deeper. But the tunnel is wider. I don't know if you ever looked down the tunnel but its a compression tunnel. At the 2 nd step the center drops about an inch and half in about 6 ft. As the air is rammed down the tunnel at a 100 mph, its compressed which gives the stern lift. I think the reason why the boat was so fast was because of the pad it runs on. I've shot the running surface with a laser. Its very close. When I flip it over, I'm going to fine tune the bottom. There are some imperfections that I'm going to correct. I should be able to get some more speed. Its all about the running surface, balance and weight.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Jaguar did build a 35 center console. It had the merc 300. I don't know if they are continuing to build boats. I went on one and looked all over it. Nice boat. I think I have photos. I don't know anything else about them. I heard Jaguar was a good running offshore hull.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Heres what I'm going to build first.This is much easier to build and has fewer parts. So I'm going to build a variation of this boat. It'll be a foot wider. The cockpit will be bigger.. The integrated platform will move the engines back 10 inches . The jack plates will add another 4 inches. This will move the engines back into cleaner water. With the jack plates I can fine tune the height of the motors.

I want to change the look of the deck. I love the look of this boat, but it needs to be updated. The bow will remain the same. I think it needs a short windshield. I think the back of the deck needs to slope down. Keep in mind the deck will be 10 inches longer. None of the modern cats have a square deck. Let me know what you think.

The reason why I'm building this boat first is because its easy to build and I need to put boats on the water. The center console has over 20 parts that have to be built to assemble the boat. For all of those parts you have to have molds. To make a mold you have to have a part. This boat has 5 parts. 3 are very small. This is a very simple boat for me to build. I'm going to build a very high end boat, using all the latest technologies.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

can't wait to see your final result!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad to see you build and post this. I wonder if the bottom of this boat is a considered a maelstrom design?
There have been a few production boats that were asym go fast cats, center console, I can think of a few, talon carrier 25, cobra predator 30 and 31, Jag 35, maximum thunder 32 fish cat (later Haan blue lightning), outlaw made one as well, and now hydra is making one.

some of these get the “hop” above 55 and need a tunnel tab. From what I have heard , some of the newer designs have eliminated that issue with engineering (like the old 30 Spectre had it but supposedly the newer 32s do not). It would be nice at this stage to engineer that out. Maybe the criscat design never had that problem. I’m sure some here have first hand knowledge if so, so they can confirm whether it’s of any concern.

Best of luck with your project and thx for posting
Old 12-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

OK I'm back. I know its been a while. I was very busy working in Miami for 6 months so finding time for my project was minimal. It is now cut in half, widened a foot and glassed back together. Here's how I did it. I built stations that matched the bottom of the boat that would sit on a base that was leveled with a laser. The stations were precut in half so I could slide one side over. They were pre-routered so that I could slide two pieces of melamine in to use as my mold.
Once I slid one hull over, which wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I checked for level with a laser. I checked the deadrise with a digital level. This proved to be difficult also. I spent a lot of time and never could get it perfect. But its really close. Within an 1/8 inch and a half of degree. When I flip it over I'll fine tune the bottom with the laser and make it perfect.
Glassing it was easy. I rolled gel coat and skinned it with and 1 1/2 oz mat. Next I used a 1708 which overlapped each side of the original hull 6 inches. Next I used an 1800 carbon fiber quad that had both a 45 and 90 degree weave. On top of that was a 3/4 inch H60 core and then a 1708 across everything and onto the original hull. It'll never come apart. Here are some photos. I'll have to post them later, they're having an issue.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Chris Cat photos of build project

1800 carbon fiber

Hull cut in half

H60 core

Filling the center mold

Jig boat sat in

Jig

All glassed together with 1708

another photo of it glassed together
Old 01-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

The photos are not in the right order but I'm sure you get the picture.
Next I'm going to add 4 inches to the hull sides and a flange. I'll be pulling a mold to manufacture the boat. The reason for the 4 inches is so that I can raise the cabin height a few inches if I want to. Also when I build the center console boat it helps with having 25 inches of gunnel height in the stern for fishing. For me it brings the gunnel to about mid thigh.
I'm also going to add and integrated transom of 12 inches to get the motors into cleaner water. It'll also have a 4 inch jackplate that will move the engines back a little further.
After this the next part will be to flip the boat, tune up the running surfaces to make them perfect and prep it to pull a mold.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Pls keep posting. Nice work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.