Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Carbs vs EFI Comparison Question? >

Carbs vs EFI Comparison Question?

Notices

Carbs vs EFI Comparison Question?

Old 09-15-2018, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs vs EFI Comparison Question?

Asking for more help on my project. I would like to know some input on Carbs vs EFI. It seems that I can complete my project a bit cheaper with Carbs. Being told that the Carbs today are much better than those of the past. I will be boating in the Mid-East states, not sure if that helps. I read threads that talk about both and its hard to make a decision. Looking to get around 750 - 900Hp on 35' Outlaw, twin engine upgrade.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

I’ve got carbs on a 800HP mill, they work great. Engine fires right up and will idle all day.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a carb guy buy the newer bolt on EFIs are easy to use and easy to dial in. Seem to run more efficient.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

To make that power you are going to have to use some forced induction of some sort. If you are starting from scratch and don't have any parts laying around that you plan to use then the answer would be a simple one for me, Whipple superchargers with EFI.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in opinions on this subject as well. I'm the 700HP range (with marine headers) I don't think you'll get too much more than that N/A without a lot of cubic inches or RPM or both. For TBI applications the Holley stealth 4500 seems like a nice (simple) option however they tell me not to use it under 800HP. Their next offering maxes out at 600HP, they admit they don't have an offering in the 600-800 range but are working on it. New carburetors seem to run in the $1200 range, the Holley Stealth TBI is $1600 plus the fuel system. I'm inclined to lean towards the carburetor for simplicity if it will in fact give me the idle I'm looking for, I have a healthy camshaft and decent size props and am having issues idling in gear.