Crusader 454 rescue and rebuild

Notices

Crusader 454 rescue and rebuild

Old 09-29-2022, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusader
Nice save
I've already split risers and mixers from exhaust and yes they were an absolute c***. Got one off conventionally and the rest with oxy and cutting off. Two snapped and one needed helicoil. Where did you buy the parts for the exhausts I've seen a few good sites but I need a comprehensive site to order everything from as this is going to need most accessories.
Ill get the info from my buddy who ordered them, the long studs were kinda hard to mail down but we found them. As were quality thick gaskets. They include cheap paper ones with the parts but their garbage.
The following users liked this post:
Crusader (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Little FYI - you might already be aware but I think it's interesting -- The gear vs chain driven cam is due to the reverse rotation. In order to use the same camshaft and valvetrain in the reverse rotation engine, they use a gear instead of a chain. Chain allows cam to spin in same direction as crank. Gear reverses the direction from the crank.
Crusader (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Little FYI - you might already be aware but I think it's interesting -- The gear vs chain driven cam is due to the reverse rotation. In order to use the same camshaft and valvetrain in the reverse rotation engine, they use a gear instead of a chain. Chain allows cam to spin in same direction as crank. Gear reverses the direction from the crank.
I thought it was something to do with the RH rotation. Like i said I am new to this so appreciate any snippets of info anyone has. My understanding was the RH engines crank and cam are ground opposite to the left, different starter motor dizzy gear and firing order. It doesn't explain why the cam is gear driven, the way you have quoted needs clarification, surely the cams in both engines are rotating the same way as the crank.
I'll have some photos up later this evening, please keep the info coming
Old 09-29-2022, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Cams are the same. Crank runs in reverse in the reverse rotation engine thanks to timing gear instead of timing chain.

Timing gear takes reverse rotating crank motion and makes a standard rotating cam.

Starter is reverse rotation.

Crusader (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 05:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Cams are the same. Crank runs in reverse in the reverse rotation engine thanks to timing gear instead of timing chain.

Timing gear takes reverse rotating crank motion and makes a standard rotating cam.

Starter is reverse rotation.
Thats good to know thanks mate! So when i go to upgrade the camshafts i just get two conventional shafts for both engines. Makes sense appreciate your input!
DrFeelgood (09-29-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 07:49 AM
Registered

Got engines up on crane and drauned the sumps. Unbelievable amount of water in each engine. The tub pictured is full of water.4

Turned over and sumps off, 4 bolt mains and oil baffels

This baffel has been curled over by hand I believe it was to accommodate the sloghtly narrow sump (two marginally different sumps)

Syarted taken pistons rods off, pistons are siezed bad and cant just knock them all out, need to be close to TD or BDC. Will be a long process getting them all out. Really happy with the condition of the bottom end, if you zoom in you may even see the engine assembly lube in crank oil feed hole. I dont think this engine has been run much past a rebuild. Sprayed the lot in crc and got stuck into the beers
Old 12-16-2022, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Wow

Originally Posted by Crusader

Gear driven Cam. Getting them up in stands tomorrow and hopfully pulling crankshafts.

Chain drive

Seized flexplates. Only way to remove was to remove studs and spin flywheel housing to access bolts as engines still siezed.
i had tranny spline stjck was able to p r y back bellhousi g and cut i n pjt shaft with torch
Old 12-16-2022, 07:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tripps
i had tranny spline stjck was able to p r y back bellhousi g and cut i n pjt shaft with torch
I managed to get them off easily once the boxes were removed. CRC and forward/backward motion, also used a formula of acetone and dexIII transmission oil that really helped to loosen rust. Mix at 50/50.
My brother ended up wanting to keep the boat on a trailer so decided to do outboards
sold all parts for 100% profit, not sure if it covers my efforts but alas was a good experience.