Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Scarab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab-41/)
-   -   Scarab 1 (21 Foot) 1985 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab/152538-scarab-1-21-foot-1985-a.html)

screwtops 02-28-2007 08:58 PM

Scarab 1 (21 Foot) 1985

Hey everyone! I just bought a 1985 Scarab 1. I have not had it to the lake yet, but I am doing some small repairs/improvements and resources for this boat are scarce, if not extinct.

Does anyone have a copy of the owner's/maintenance manual for this boat? Also would like to know the fuel tank capacity, and what kind of fuel usage and cruising/top speed I might expect with is vessel. It has a stock 350 mercruiser, alpha outdrive, Quicksilver 3 blade prop, 21 pitch.

I know that the 21' Scarab is a "small potato" in the relm of the larger vessels represented on this sight. But, I love the shape of this boat. I wanted one when I was a teenager, now I have one as a middle aged kid, going through a mid life crisis. :)

If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Have a great day!!!!!

jeff32 02-28-2007 10:43 PM

nice boat! Fun to drive! not expensive on gas and pretty fast even with small block. Friend of mine had one with 454 roughly 400 hp, ran 75mph.

Have fun! But post pictures!

Prostreeter 03-01-2007 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by screwtops (Post 2042524)
Hey everyone! I just bought a 1985 Scarab 1. I have not had it to the lake yet, but I am doing some small repairs/improvements and resources for this boat are scarce, if not extinct.

Does anyone have a copy of the owner's/maintenance manual for this boat? Also would like to know the fuel tank capacity, and what kind of fuel usage and cruising/top speed I might expect with is vessel. It has a stock 350 mercruiser, alpha outdrive, Quicksilver 3 blade prop, 21 pitch.

I know that the 21' Scarab is a "small potato" in the relm of the larger vessels represented on this sight. But, I love the shape of this boat. I wanted one when I was a teenager, now I have one as a middle aged kid, going through a mid life crisis. :)

If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Have a great day!!!!!

Nice boat.Welcome to the Scarab club.Lots of good people here.

Your boat hold 43 gallons of fuel.I would think with a small block top speed would be 50ish.
Pull up wellcraft.com and go to owners forum then to product information.This will give you the specs of your boat.

screwtops 03-01-2007 05:44 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome, and the helpful information. Wellcraft has dumped all of the stats on their forum, but I did find some factory info that is helpful.

I look forward to participating in this forum, sharing pics and stories with all of you. I AM SO READY FOR SPRING! The Scarab, in any length is such a beautiful vessel. It is such a shame that Wellcraft no longer supports so many models.

Have a great day everyone!

kvscarab38 03-01-2007 09:30 PM

specs for scarab 1

1 Attachment(s)
hopefully this uploads all spec still at wellcraft

screwtops 03-05-2007 06:58 AM

Here are some pics

3 Attachment(s)
Today was a nice day, and I thought I would clean the boat up and take some pics. A clean boat always seems to entice birds to CRAP all over it. LOL! Does anyone else have this problem>>?? :mad:

hdtvned 03-09-2007 09:30 AM

I have one that I picked up a little over a year ago. Its a fun boat. I put a stroker kit in the engine and painted it blue. I am in the process of fabricating a new windshield.
As far as maintenance goes be sure to seal the swim steps, outdrive, and exhaust. The transom of this boat is in my opinion a very poor design. If yours is not rotten be shure to keep it that way. It is a major pita to repair.
I would like to share some pics. Could you post them for me? My e-mail is [email protected] Actually we are only about 4 hrs apart. I live in Belleville IL.
Ned

screwtops 03-18-2007 10:15 PM

I just got my boat to the lake for the first time, and it runs very nice. Handles the rough and choppy water like a champ. If a 21 footer handles this nice... I can only imagine what a 38 or larger would be like... my mouth is watering! LOL!

It has a SB Chevy powerplant. Would like to create more lower end torque. It has stainless headers on it, and a 2 barrel. Thinking about going with an aluminum intake.

I built a 351 Windsor for a full sized cutom van, and used an Offenhauser high rise single plane aluminum intake with a 650 Holley. Rv cam, '69 Torino GT heads, and Hedman headers. It would pull that 5900 pound van in high gear at 5500 rpm! No idea how fast we were going, the speedo only went to 85. The low end was outrageous. Now, I know that a van on the road and a boat in the water are 2 different things. I need to keep some fuel economy in mind. I don't plan on tearing into the engine this year, but I thought a carb and intake would be a nice place to start. Any ideas??????

Have a great day!

screwtops 07-28-2008 09:30 PM

Hey everyone... haven't been on for awhile, but I just got finished up with a trailer modification, that some folks said could not be done. Thought I would share it with all of you, let me know what you think??? With gas getting so high, one tow vehicle, and the lake is 45 miles away... hard to camp and boat at the same time, without a lot of unnecessary miles on the truck.... I think I may have it whooped~!

Total rig length is 65 feet, right at the longest legal vehicle length for triple towing in my state, Missouri. Combined weight is 13,880 pounds.

1998 Chevy Suburban 4x4, 1985 Scarab 1 (21'), and a 1997 Jayco J-1406 pop up camper. Surge brakes all work, and I can back it up straight, and into a right hand corner... with a little space to manuever.

There is just enough clearance for the Alpha to pass the hitch, but I am going to make the rear hitch bar removable, lockable with hitchpins once I get through this Summer.

http://a707.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...62316bdf32.jpg

http://a610.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...b680db0c99.jpg

http://a46.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/...301a8f3b85.jpg

blanchard1970 07-31-2010 07:11 AM

Scarab 1

I just bought a 21' 1987 Scarab 1 with a Yamaha Excel 225. The boat runs great 57 mph on gps. Does anyone know the max HP. for this year boat?? I was thinking of repowering with 250 or 300xs Mercury.Does anyone have a copy of the owner's manual for this boat? Also what brand trailer would be best for this 21'.