anyone looked over at Baja Recently? >

anyone looked over at Baja Recently?

Notices

anyone looked over at Baja Recently?

Old 03-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 941 Likes on 472 Posts

I know mine wont be a Scarab! I like the lines of the boat but they need to step up to the plate and step into reality! How long can you get away with the same style and just add steps or graphics? Not gonna work for me!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-07-2002, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit though -

If you are a guy on a tight budget and you want to experience your first twin engine setup, a 29 Scarab is your best choice.

10k less than a 28 Sonic
20k less than a 28 Donzi
30k less than a 29 Outlaw
40k less than a 29 Formula
50k less than a 29 Fountain.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:39 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Baja is one of the most popular brands here in the mid to upper Chesapeake, along with Sonic, Fountain and Formula. The Baja owners I speak with like their boats a lot.

Scarabs?!? Only see old ones, very few new ones. I've also been told the closest dealer didn't do much to help and apparently gained a reputation similar to "Herb Tarlac" on the old WKRP TV show.

I take exception to the insinuation Scarab's don't hold their value. Resale wise, Scarab's hold their initial value for about the first 30 minutes you're driving it......it's only after you've owned it for a full 24 hours that it plummets to 1/5 of the original purchase price.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."

Last edited by Keith; 03-07-2002 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

come on guys............................let it all out
Old 03-07-2002, 07:26 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

hahahahaha!!!!

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 03-08-2002, 07:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Alright guys you gotta help me out on this one!!

I own a 96 29' with 502 Whippple set-up. If you look in the boat trading magazines I see very few 29 scarabs for sale, but I see a bunch of 29 Outlaws for sale.

Why are there so many for sale if there good boats??? I'm not trying to start anything here. I'm just asking a question. I run with Outlaws in some of the rough stuff in the bay and they can't hang with me.

Don't get the wrong idea 29Outlaw. Its just a question.

Old 03-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Registered

I can't address the handling thing. The only 29 Scarab I go up against out here only tops out at maybe mid 60's so he can't keep up with me but that perhaps is more of a speed thing. I think my boat handles great. Always predictable. I have large K-planes that I run even with the hull. It kind of gives me the feel of a 31' running surface. And at almost 8000lbs loaded, I don't get tossed around.

As far as boats for sale - I don't know. Baja makes about 100 29 Outlaws a year. I'm sure if your look at annual production numbers of other builders and extrapolate the numbers, it will probably even out. On Boattrader there are currently 38 29's for sale between 1997 and 2001. There are also 19 32 Fountains for sale between 1997 and 2001. I willing to bet that Reggie built about half as many 32 Fevers as Baja built 29's between 1997 and 2001. If so, then you could also ask why there are so many 32 Fevers for sale?????

Old 03-08-2002, 09:41 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I think maybe it a flooded market issue and there size is in between stepping up from the smaller footage to the larger footage.

I think the Scarab got ripped off on the the K-planes. They have some woose bennets on them. I hardly, if ever use mine. I usually keep them up and out of the way. The only time I've ever used them is when I have a lot of people on board. Other than that, I don't touch them.

All I can say, if the Scarabs don't change their ways, there legacy is OVER with, and that would be too bad, but I don't see them making any attempts to stay in the performance market. Sure they made the 33 step hull, but their not heavy enough like the 38 to make a sharp turn without catching a notch and flipping. I heard about that one. No thanks!!

Old 03-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally posted by 29scarab
I think maybe it a flooded market issue and there size is in between stepping up from the smaller footage to the larger footage.

I think the Scarab got ripped off on the the K-planes. They have some woose bennets on them. I hardly, if ever use mine. I usually keep them up and out of the way. The only time I've ever used them is when I have a lot of people on board. Other than that, I don't touch them.

All I can say, if the Scarabs don't change their ways, there legacy is OVER with, and that would be too bad, but I don't see them making any attempts to stay in the performance market. Sure they made the 33 step hull, but their not heavy enough like the 38 to make a sharp turn without catching a notch and flipping. I heard about that one. No thanks!!

Scarab dosen't make a lot of boats ,there is just not as much demand for a scarab, dont get me wrong, I almost bought a used 29 scarab but after further investigation about the boat's history I chose not to, I really liked the boat alot but the graphics and interior just did'nt seem up to date in my opinion, mabye the outlaw drivers didn't have any balls, just my thoughts, how fast is your 29 on gps? did you ever find a 26'' bravo?
Old 03-08-2002, 07:17 PM
Registered

Liquid asset brings up a good point about 29 Outlaws not being able to keep up with you. Perhaps it’s just a speed thing. You have a blown 502 and can run mid 70’s easy. Well, there are many 29 Outlaws out there that cannot run mid 70’s regardless of water conditions. In my earlier post I mention how I can blow away the only 29 Scarab out here but it’s just a speed issue. He can only hit 65mph and I can hit 77mph – it has nothing to do with rough water handling.

I just find it hard to believe that in rough water a 23 degree deep vee that weighs 5500 pounds and has 27 feet of running surface can out handle a 24 degree deep vee that weighs 6800 pounds and has 29 feet of running surface.

It’s not rocket science – or perhaps it is and I am overlooking some element that is too high-tech for me to understand. If so, please explain