89 Panther here we go >

89 Panther here we go

Notices

89 Panther here we go

Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Fell Better - Only A Little Though

donnawanna, I lucked upon your buildup here. Very interesting to view the skeleton of a Panther. Upon winterizing the marina called and informed me I had 30 gallons of fuel in the bilge! Yikes. They've removed the bolsters and hatch and found 3/4" foam embedding everything, but they see no issues at the fill or top of the tank. They expect a corrosion leak in the bottom of the alum. tank.
Claiming they have past experience with this type repair, they estimate 50 hours labor to remove/replace the helm and saw out under the bench seat that they claim necessary to slide forward and rear lift the tank for a full Remove/Replace job.
I'm asking based on your experience if the extent of dismantling they describe is really required and accurate, and if the time estimate is reasonable?
For background, I have fresh power 365Mags 2 years ago, but I work overseas and am lucky to get in the boat 2-3 times a season. I've kept the interior upgraded and clean and the hull is in great original condition. Hit my Profile for a pic showing the great original graphics. But man, $6-7K more in this boat is killing me.

Last question (I promise). Is there any membranous or liner bladder in-situ repair that can be made to the tank without removal? I read that many tanks have baffles which would preclude simply inserting a big repair bladder inside.

Love your work and would consider it heaven to be able to drag mine home, strip it out and cherry it up myself. ::sad::

Last edited by Mintish Panther; 11-06-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Posted a pic
Old 11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

donnawanna - I hate to see you go back with bolsters that aren't original - that would be like taking the teak out. (At least my '84 S-Type had teak.) Anyway, if you aren't worried about going back with original drives, I would strongly suggest going back with Kaamas. They are faster than the Bravos and bullet proof, and they came on Scarabs of that era. Only a serious Scarab aficionado would know they didn't go on a Panther. The S-Type is either the same hull or very close.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mintish Panther
donnawanna, I lucked upon your buildup here. Very interesting to view the skeleton of a Panther. Upon winterizing the marina called and informed me I had 30 gallons of fuel in the bilge! Yikes. They've removed the bolsters and hatch and found 3/4" foam embedding everything, but they see no issues at the fill or top of the tank. They expect a corrosion leak in the bottom of the alum. tank.
Claiming they have past experience with this type repair, they estimate 50 hours labor to remove/replace the helm and saw out under the bench seat that they claim necessary to slide forward and rear lift the tank for a full Remove/Replace job.
I'm asking based on your experience if the extent of dismantling they describe is really required and accurate, and if the time estimate is reasonable?
For background, I have fresh power 365Mags 2 years ago, but I work overseas and am lucky to get in the boat 2-3 times a season. I've kept the interior upgraded and clean and the hull is in great original condition. Hit my Profile for a pic showing the great original graphics. But man, $6-7K more in this boat is killing me.

Last question (I promise). Is there any membranous or liner bladder in-situ repair that can be made to the tank without removal? I read that many tanks have baffles which would preclude simply inserting a big repair bladder inside.

Love your work and would consider it heaven to be able to drag mine home, strip it out and cherry it up myself. ::sad::
thanks I would think 50hrs is pretty close but I would beware of the bulk head and the stringers around the tank being good I would check them out real close before they put the fome back around the tank.
I dont know of any way to repair the tank with out pulling it sorry.
how does it run with the 365s and what drives do you have?
I just picked up some jen 5 502s and plan on making 509s .
good luck I hope they dont find anything else wrong. I dont think that 6to 7 k is not a bad investment into a boat you know. I would rather do that then buy someone elses boat for much more and facing the unknown.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
donnawanna - I hate to see you go back with bolsters that aren't original - that would be like taking the teak out. (At least my '84 S-Type had teak.) Anyway, if you aren't worried about going back with original drives, I would strongly suggest going back with Kaamas. They are faster than the Bravos and bullet proof, and they came on Scarabs of that era. Only a serious Scarab aficionado would know they didn't go on a Panther. The S-Type is either the same hull or very close.

I do have the original bolsters. Im not so worried about being original I am kinda a resto-rod type of person but I never thought of Kamma drives hmmm? are they hard to dock?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mintish Panther

I couldnt get my tank out without cutting the wall behind the rear seat so I think they might know whats up

Last edited by donnawanna; 11-10-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by donnawanna
I do have the original bolsters. Im not so worried about being original I am kinda a resto-rod type of person but I never thought of Kamma drives hmmm? are they hard to dock?
Thats a wive's tale. No problems. And the look really cool.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by donnawanna
thanks I would think 50hrs is pretty close but I would beware of the bulk head and the stringers around the tank being good I would check them out real close before they put the fome back around the tank.

how does it run with the 365s and what drives do you have?
Thanks for your insights. From your pics I'll know to inspect everything once they get the tank out.

It's got just Bravo drives (with the bondo cracking off the speed noses). The boat runs rather well for nothing special being done to it, - I had it to 68 a couple times just to check.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered

Donnawanna, updated photos? status report?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Donnawanna, updated photos? status report?

I have been really busy with work the only thing I have done is I finished the rear bulk head and started on the stringers. I did buy some gen 5 502s with all kinds of goodies in them all marine stuff and some stelling extention boxes.
the good news is I have a new shop for the winter and sold the Donna Wanna so I plan on making some big progress soon. Ill post some pics soon.
Keith
Old 11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

Keith,

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep us posted.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.