Notices

38 Scarab history

Old 06-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts
Default 38 Scarab history

Just wondering what the chronology of the hull as in

What year did it first appear (377, 38, KV, ??? )
What year did the 377 become the flat deck 38?
Is it an original loft or a pop of some other hull?
did they make both a flat deck and raised deck (Excel) in 88?
did all the straight bottom raised Excel deck 38's after 88 have the same hull and deck?
What years were the 38 Excels built?
When did the AVS hull come out and is it a stepped version of the straight hull?
Did they ever have a cored hull? years?

I am thinking about looking for an 88 or 89 38 Excel and wondered if those were unique years. I have always liked the 88's and 89's wondered if they were any different then later 38s.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-09-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread! I believe '98 was the first year of the AVS hull (I own a '99.) My hunch is that they used the old flat-bottom mold and threw a couple steps in it, but would appreciate confirmation.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Just wondering what the chronology of the hull as in

What year did it first appear (377, 38, KV, ??? )
What year did the 377 become the flat deck 38?
Is it an original loft or a pop of some other hull?
did they make both a flat deck and raised deck (Excel) in 88?
did all the straight bottom raised Excel deck 38's after 88 have the same hull and deck?
What years were the 38 Excels built?
When did the AVS hull come out and is it a stepped version of the straight hull?
Did they ever have a cored hull? years?

I am thinking about looking for an 88 or 89 38 Excel and wondered if those were unique years. I have always liked the 88's and 89's wondered if they were any different then later 38s.
That is a whole lotta questions, and I can honestly say that I can't answer any of them. I hope this was helpful for you, lol
Old 06-10-2011, 04:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

377 came out as Larry Smiths Scarab racer for Betty Cook 1977(?), actually the boat is 37,6 like the Flatdeck Cig racer.
The Bottom according to LS is a 23 dgr. V on a Cig a 24 dgr. The 377 flatdeck (Kaama Edition) was in production from 81-84 only as a side by side, Kaama surface drives could be had on them and all kinds of fun stuff like Turbo engines etc. the Raised deck 377 could be had staggered, then from 85 up the boat became the 38KV uptil 1989, with one man bolsters on both sides, no padding on the gunnel and other interior and cockpit differences, the easiest tell tale is the bolsters.
Boats that was reinforced with Kevlar was around 500lbs lighter should have the world KEVLAR under the HIN number with the same font, but this can be argued as errors do happen while laying up...

Regarding Excels I don't have a clue and little interest ( Except Augie's Flying Condo(m) aka the Delicate sound of thunder) because they look not as good in my eyes but one would assume the hull is the same.

PS. LS had the 38KV molds 4 sale a while ago...

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 06-10-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
377 came out as Larry Smiths Scarab racer for Betty Cook 1977(?), actually the boat is 37,6 like the Flatdeck Cig racer.
The Bottom according to LS is a 23 dgr. V on a Cig a 24 dgr. The 377 flatdeck (Kaama Edition) was in production from 81-84 only as a side by side, Kaama surface drives could be had on them and all kinds of fun stuff like Turbo engines etc. the Raised deck 377 could be had staggered, then from 85 up the boat became the 38KV uptil 1989, with one man bolsters on both sides, no padding on the gunnel and other interior and cockpit differences, the easiest tell tale is the bolsters.
Boats that was reinforced with Kevlar was around 500lbs lighter should have the world KEVLAR under the HIN number with the same font, but this can be argued as errors do happen while laying up...

Regarding Excels I don't have a clue and little interest ( Except Augie's Flying Condo(m) aka the Delicate sound of thunder) because they look not as good in my eyes but one would assume the hull is the same.

PS. LS had the 38KV molds 4 sale a while ago...

How much were the 38KV molds going for?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never asked and do not know if they even got sold, the 43 mold was sold atleast. Thinking of .... adding steps to that hull... and keep the oldschool deck, make a stagered one.... hmmm Should I make a call and try to continue the history...

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 06-11-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Larry Smith introduced both stepped 30's and 38's in 1996. The 1st Wellcraft Scarab to be stepped was a 31 which was converted from the convential bottom in the spring of 97 as a test platform. The 31 then had the swim platform added and the production 33 AVS was born in 98 and won "Powerboat of the Year" award. The 38s and 43s were added in 99.

As to construction, the hulls have "spraycore" in the hull sides and balsa coring in the decks. The lifting stakes are filled with "microballoons". the bottoms are fully fiberglass.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

an interesting note Nigel Hooks Lucas Oil Scarab was actually a straight bottom 38 that was heavily worked. I was told by one of his guys in Key West one year that when the stepped it the original bottom remained in tact under the new bottom. Not sure if that true of not but worth sharing.
Attached Thumbnails 38 Scarab history-nigelhookflying2.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nigel's 38 Scarab

Originally Posted by glassdave
an interesting note Nigel Hooks Lucas Oil Scarab was actually a straight bottom 38 that was heavily worked. I was told by one of his guys in Key West one year that when the stepped it the original bottom remained in tact under the new bottom. Not sure if that true of not but worth sharing.
Correction ... Nigel's 38 Scarab was a step-bottom boat (2 forward vented steps) from the get go and she was the 1st step bottom boat built by Larry Smith in 1995 from a 302 mould that was stretched to 37'7".
In 1996, Nigel won 12 of 14 races. Based upon the experience of this 1st step bottom boat, Larry produced inserts for the production 33 and 38 moulds.

Maybe the confusion is that in 1999, Nigel leased the boat to someone who added stuff to the bottom? But when Nigel got it back our crew ground that extra stuff off the bottom.

The 38 is now on display in the Lucas Oil stadium.

Anyway, I hope that helps to clear up that boat's history. Let me know if you have any more questions. [email protected]
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (08-25-2023)
Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Hi Janet, thanks for the info. I think it was around 02 when I heard the story I got and after all it was key west so ya never know. I'm sure my memory may not be the best from any of those events. Thanks for clearing that up. To be honest it really didn't sound right to me anyway.

Hey does Nigel plan on doing any races in the US with the new boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.