Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Scarab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab-41/)
-   -   Scarab 302 CC fuel leak (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab/258735-scarab-302-cc-fuel-leak.html)

LaughingCat 07-24-2011 01:51 PM

Scarab 302 CC fuel leak

Took the boat out this weekend. Noticed a heavy gas smell from the cabin and bilge. Had a small sheen of it in the bilge water. It has deteriorated the float switch.

Machanic came over, we look everywhere to try and trace it. It is not coming from any fuel lines or connection to the tank or, tank switch manifold, anywhere we could find.

We took boat for a sea trial and could not find any leakage during the run. Nothing started gathering after we stopped either. However, by tonight, I suspect more will have built up.

There is no ethanol in the tank. Have always filled at marine fueling stops. Anyone know of any issues with tanks forming small cracks on the Scarab 302 CC's? It is a 2000 hull.

I'd like to have an idea of what the situation is before it goes to someone that will want thousands to derig and swap the tanks.

Thanks

frankenstein 07-24-2011 08:34 PM

I have a 98 and have never had a problem, knock on wood. When you figure it out please let me know what it was.

LaughingCat 07-25-2011 06:28 AM

I most certainly will let everyone know. Hopefully, this does not lead to my having a thread of photos about a complete rerig. . .

tinman565 07-25-2011 04:22 PM

Something with the fill hose/area ? How about the tank vent hose ? In my boat...they are almost impossible to see behind the side wall. Might be loose...cracked...or both. Fuel could be sloshing around...then taking its sweet time getting to the back of the boat and into the bilge. Just an idea. :confused:

LaughingCat 07-25-2011 07:55 PM

One would hope. But we pulled speakers out of sidewal to access fill hoses and vent lines. all dry, no dry-rot.

Taking to boatyard tomorrow. They will pressure test teh tank and let me know. I fear my big tank replacement photo thread may be forthcoming. . .

THEJOKER 07-25-2011 08:11 PM

We can replace your tanks , etc. Let me know if you need help.

LaughingCat 07-28-2011 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by THEJOKER (Post 3461884)
We can replace your tanks , etc. Let me know if you need help.

Hi Joker,

Thanks for the offer. Will see what I am dealing with locally first but will keep you in mind.

Status report: boat delivered to the boatyard yesterday. Waiting to hear results of tank pressure test before meeting with them.

tinman565 08-01-2011 01:00 PM

Well ???? What did they find out brotha ?? Its been long enough...they must know something by now. :drink:

LaughingCat 08-02-2011 06:14 AM

Talked to them Friday. Said they were going to do the pressure test yesterday or today. Will be calling around lunchtime to get a status report.

LaughingCat 08-03-2011 08:36 AM

Called yesterday and they ahven't had someone free to look at this project. Maybe today or tomorrow.