22' Scarab 350 efi quits on idle/reverse >

22' Scarab 350 efi quits on idle/reverse

Notices

22' Scarab 350 efi quits on idle/reverse

Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22' Scarab 350 efi quits on idle/reverse

This is my first boat, 95 22' scarab 350 efi merc. I've just recently been able to run it on a regular basis this weekend. I've noticed that when im entering the docks switching from forward power to idle/reverse the engine stalls out. The engine will fire up right away again just makes docking it tricky when it keeps stalling. boat runs strong other then that. throttle cable?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smittymedic17
This is my first boat, 95 22' scarab 350 efi merc. I've just recently been able to run it on a regular basis this weekend. I've noticed that when im entering the docks switching from forward power to idle/reverse the engine stalls out. The engine will fire up right away again just makes docking it tricky when it keeps stalling. boat runs strong other then that. throttle cable?
Alpha drives utilize an ignition interrupt circuit to aid in shifting. On the shift quadrant in the engine compartment you'll find a small microswitch that controls this function. What is likely happening is that you are either shifting slowly (this will keep the interrupt engaged too long and allow the engine to die instead of momentarily drop spark), or the linkage is out of adjustment.

Try making your shifting motion quicker and don't tarry in between F, N, or R. If you feel you are already shifting the boat quick enough, then it's likely just an adjustment issue. I only bring this up because if it's your first boat, you may not be used to the action... Especially with what probably feels like a mushy combined (shift and throttle) control.

If you search around the web, you can find a link to a the Merc manual which covers adjustment of the shift linkage.