Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Info on 1986 Scarab I *looking to buy* >

Info on 1986 Scarab I *looking to buy*

Notices

Info on 1986 Scarab I *looking to buy*

Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

The drive skeg is broken off pretty short so it might affect steering a little? As to the fin, it is a "Dole
fin" or a version like it. They were designed to help get boats on plane and/or stay on plane at lower speeds. Cant really imagine why one was put on that boat. They are certainly not "performance" friendly.

Depending on what LED they are, they could be close to a $1000 for the pair. As for the price, it is only because they are "marine"
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 1 of these boats, mines an 84. 3000 is about right if everything works on it, in that condition. I paid more than that for mine, but it has new paint and a new engine. It is important to mention that just because evrything "works" right now doesn't it will next weekend. As with anything that age problems are going to arise here and there so just prepare to have to fix things.....sometimes dumb things. Mine has gotten a new carb, coil ,filters,plugs so far this year. On the other hand they are fun as hell and its kinda like driving a honda it sounds badass and makes you feel like your hauling ass, right up untill a fsater boats blows you away. It will go in some bad conditions safely, but you won't be happy driving it either. The merc 260 engine is what should be in it and they are reliable motors. For a first boat I would say go for it just be realistic with your expectations and it will be a ton of fun!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Registered

I assume I can remove the dole fin if I dont like it right?

The drive skeg is broken off about an inch maybe. Or ground down anyway. Ive seen a few good conditions used lower units for these for a few hundred at most. I would most likely change that out this winter. Im sure I could find a good deal on one somewhere.

As for the engine it did have the merc 260 in it origionally like you said. however at the beginning of this season a new gm crate was put in. They put all new marine gaskets in and a marine cam. All the other supporting components and accessorys came of the other blcok. has an edlebrock performer rpm intake mani and a edelbrock 650 carb. The engine looks very clean and sounded very good. Again I realize that this is with out a load on it. Anyway im not too concerned with the motor giving me too much trouble.

Thanks for the input guys! And i think my expectations are reasonable. I do understand that it is an old boat. But i also dont have a lot of experience with boats so im not used to something else. Worst case I end up not liking it and sell it mid season or at the end of the season. Hopefully I wont have any major issues and have some fun with it.

Ethan
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered

So I bought the boat!

Here are a few more pictures after i got it home.

Here is a video of a quick start after I got it home. Just click the picture to see it.

The back bench seat in one of the corners is ripped a little and its got duck tape on it now. Thats really the only major bad portion of the interior. For the most part its fairly "clean" for a cheap older boat. The blower doesnt seem to work either but i can fix that fairly easy. Even if i need to run new wires and new switch its fairly simple.

Any methods to fixing tears in vinyl? Even an adhesive patch or something?

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Registered

Looks pretty clean for an 86. As for the cushion, some of the older scarabs had zippers on the cushions so you could take the foam out. If this is the case, do that, turn it inside out and sew it. If you cant do that, you could try sewing it from the outside with a "hook" needle. Wont be the prettiest but it will get by. Other than that, there really are no good fixes for torn vinyl.

Speaking of "pretty", we will now need some pictures of the girl behind the boat in the garage, on the boat, in a bikini. Thanks in advance for sharing
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered

Cool boat
unless your going to keep it in the water - i'd get rid of the bottom paint. Down to original gel or repaint white.
Did it to an old searey 21 with stripper/scraper and orbital sander
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Haha I'll see what I can do about getting her pose on the boat.

I was thinking of removing the bottom paint as I don't really need it. I'm sure I could get most of it off with some work but is repainting and gel coat somethig the diy Er can do fairly easy and look good? Also I'm not looking to sink a whole lot of money in it.

I was able to take the boat out on a lake this last weekend. It went really well. Boat does 45-47 easy and I wasn't really laying into it. This is with the 4 blade aluminum prop. It seems to run a touch hot. Stays at 170-180 and sometimes creeps up to 190 maybe 200. It does fluctuate alot though. I beleive it may have a 190 deg tstat in it. Like an automotive one maybe? Just because of the temps it's seeing. I've read they should have a marine 140 deg? What temp should it run at? Keep in mind I'm using the factory temp gauge Wich I have no idea of the accuracy.

Also I found a used lower unit that looks in nice shape with the exception of a spline on the output or input shaft being broken. It was from a 4.3merc. I really just want just the case not the internals. Would I be able to swap mine over? Mine seems to work ok but it is pitted and has crap paint on it. As well as the drive skeg being quite short. However the boat seemed to drive just fine as is. The used semi broken lower is $100. Seems fairly cheap.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ethan.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Registered

As far as removing bottom paint, the level of work needed after depends on the prep done before it was put on. In some cases, chemical strippers work well at removing a majority of the paint. Maybe try a small area and see waht type of finish you would be left with? If you have to "bring back" the bottom of the boat, it can be done DIY, but it wont be "fairly easy". Its grunt work! You could always bring back the sides and leave the bottom of the boat alone if it is just a "sanded" finish. That is faster anyway!

As for the drive, Alpha parts should switch to another Alpha case without issue.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered

Looks nice dude congrats! Mine has been winterized less than a month and I'm ready for summer again!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Thanks man! I actually just winterized mine a few weeks ago too. I wish i was able to take it out more then the one time this year. Next summer will be fun for sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.