Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Beware of this Scarab Sport 302 for sale - rotten floors and likey the transom too >

Beware of this Scarab Sport 302 for sale - rotten floors and likey the transom too

Notices

Beware of this Scarab Sport 302 for sale - rotten floors and likey the transom too

Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Beware of this Scarab Sport 302 for sale - rotten floors and likey the transom too

Beware of this Scarab Sport 302 for sale in - rotten floors and likey the transom too

Went all the way to Ohio with a buddy to look at this Scarab Sport 302. Ad description and detailed picture made this look like a great deal. These boats are known to get soft floors from lack of sealant. Buyer was asked straight up if it had soft floors and he said no.

We drove 1150 miles (round trip) and within 3 minutes of checking out boat - we found 75% of the floor and the entire cuddy floor to be VERY soft due to rotten balsa core. If the floor was solid the boat would have been and "ok" buy. The starboard side of transom also sounded odd when knocking on it - suspect water in there too. The pictures were very creatively taken. Other than floors, most everything else we saw was mostly cosmetic.

What I say it was soft - it was VERY soft. You could push the floor 1/4" with just your fingers. NEVER seen a deck that soft.

He also had a removable plug in the drain hole of the cuddy floor. Said he keeps that there to keep the water in the bilge from flooding the cuddy!! (which would make me wonder about condition of fuel tanks, wiring, etc!)

Again, my buddy (buyer) KNEW that these boats can develop soft decks and he asked the seller point blank if there were soft spots before he made an offer and well before we made the trip. Seller obviously knew about the floor because his "surveyor" (I highly question his abilities) told him it was nothing to worry about back in Jan '13. Seller offered the survey to us when we were already in Ohio inspecting the boat.
Only after we drove to Ohio did seller mention anything about what his surveyor (had it surveyed in Jan for ins reasons) said about the floor - said it was no problem. Seller said if we were concerned that we could "squirt" epoxy in there.

Be careful - to repair this floor, probably looking at $12,000 to $15,000

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...t-Cuddy-364509

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 08-05-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what ya mean on this stuff. Pulled my trailer all the way to Vegas once to pick up a supposed almost new collector car. You should have seen what bomb it was. A good friend of mine drove almost 800 miles once on a "nearly new" helicopter. Complete junk! You are so right about how artistic these guys can be when taking pictures - and how surprised they are when you point out all the problems that any any competent boat or car guy are gonna spot immediately. All I can say is that my definition of clean and way too many of these clowns definition is way different! Had a pal tell me once that it's almost impossible to buy some of this stuff while you're standing 3 feet from it without gettin' the shaft so it's really hard to do it from a distance. I feel your pain brother!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered

Look at this one
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bod/3983849350.html

Last edited by TOMMY 22 SCARAB; 08-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Registered

what a waste of time, that sucks, that seems like an awful lot of money for a 2001 with 2001 motors? Holy crap, have boat prices gone up that much since I bought mine?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Pete280
what a waste of time, that sucks, that seems like an awful lot of money for a 2001 with 2001 motors? Holy crap, have boat prices gone up that much since I bought mine?

It had almost $9000 of new electronics, a new 2011 trailer with 6 wheel brakes, upholstery was like new, boat gel was in outstanding condition, fresh water - no corrosion, a bunch of money into new fishing stuff. He also had a FULL pickup truck full of stuff that goes with the boat. If the floor was good, the boat would have been in VERY VERY good condition.

Yes, prices have risen because everyone that NEEDED to sell their boats at fire-sale prices have all been sold. The market is almost back to "normal".
Heck, you may make a profit on your boat if you bought it right. . . . . .

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Registered

I think I could break even for what I have into mine, I am thinking i'd sell for 39K or so, problem is I cant find much out there I like better for 50K or so
Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Pete280
problem is I cant find much out there I like better for 50K or so
Exactly why I havent tried to sell!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I have a 1998 Scarab Sport 302, and I was unaware of soft floor issues. I know mine doesn't have a soft floor, and all my buddies that have gotten thrown around that boat and their heads smashed against that floor can back me up on that. LOL., but all kidding aside, my floor is as solid as can be. I don't know if I'm lucky, or if I have been smart about taking care of my boat, but she is rock solid.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered

I have been looking since last year and every one I saw had a soft floor except one. It was a 2000 that had the floor repaired for $12,000. I started to look for alternative so I looked at Baja Sportfish and I am seeing the same soft floor problem with these.