Hey guys need some help, guidance, advice! Scarab 300 purchase >

Hey guys need some help, guidance, advice! Scarab 300 purchase

Notices

Hey guys need some help, guidance, advice! Scarab 300 purchase

Old 07-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys need some help, guidance, advice! Scarab 300 purchase

Hey guys ran across a 78 Scarab 300. All original with twin 330hp 454s, TRS drives, and merc 2 transmissions. Boat runs and actually runs well did a short water test, Boat needs updating of course. But here's my question whats the boat worth in your guys opinion, I know my information and question isn't really enough to go off of. But it being sight unseen here's what I can tell you, the hull is in good shape as far as no cracks on the deck, bow, underside. The transom is soft I did some 1/8th core drilling, and strings are the same. Around the engine compartment kleet areas in rear and behind the rear seat in the corners to the engine compartment area theres cracking. The transome shows small gel coat cracking under one drive. I stood on both drives 220lbs and no real flex noted in the transom but I know its soft. Again the boat is all original with maintenance done and merc 2's rebuilt in the past and TRS resealed, but the engines are original and run/sound well. 550 hours on boat. The boat at WOT is only spinning 4200-4400ish at 65mph and the owner remembers those props being put on 20 years back so its nice knowing it hasn't been revved out its whole life. It has a 90s aluminum trailer but will need brakes re installed. Anyways whats the going price for one of these where I could buy it and still make out alright if I had to part it out over fixing. I am mechanically inclined and own a euro repair shop, so mechanically no issue to work on the boat, but the transom and stringers and cracking around engine compartment area I would have to get addressed. Im sure I could buy the boat for under $4500. Thoughts !?!? I think its a great deal, but hesitant none the less. Any input? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

Transom repair is enough to scare me away....everything needs to come out for it to be redone. Motors are old, they will go first and last....its gonna be expensive. Can you get a year, two, or five out of it, possibly, who knows? Imagine this...$4500 for the boat, $3500 for transom repairs, $2000 for stringers, $15000 for stock engines...$2500 for interior redo....you get where I am going. Before you know it you got $40-$50K tied up in....if you plan for use for a long time, thats fine....but the average boater will not understand what you have built nor will they appreciate it. Look at it from every side....for $40K you could buy a decent older boat with this work already done and it be turn key.....no projects. Boats like this are fun, but if you don't have a shop, time, and an open checkbook for repairs/building....if he gave you the boat, it still might be right. Just ask yourself real hard before pulling the trigger......is this what i really want to do? If you have any second thoughts, leave it alone.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mercury_Challenger
Transom repair is enough to scare me away....everything needs to come out for it to be redone. Motors are old, they will go first and last....its gonna be expensive. Can you get a year, two, or five out of it, possibly, who knows? Imagine this...$4500 for the boat, $3500 for transom repairs, $2000 for stringers, $15000 for stock engines...$2500 for interior redo....you get where I am going. Before you know it you got $40-$50K tied up in....if you plan for use for a long time, thats fine....but the average boater will not understand what you have built nor will they appreciate it. Look at it from every side....for $40K you could buy a decent older boat with this work already done and it be turn key.....no projects. Boats like this are fun, but if you don't have a shop, time, and an open checkbook for repairs/building....if he gave you the boat, it still might be right. Just ask yourself real hard before pulling the trigger......is this what i really want to do? If you have any second thoughts, leave it alone.
Yeah, that's where my second thoughts come in. My next question I guess that follows are the drives, engines, and trans in used operating condition worth around 4k? I'm trying to see if I can situate myself where I buy the boat now and if I have a change of heart could get my 4k back out of it somewhat easily! Thanks again
Old 07-08-2014, 11:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 282 Posts

Hi mxzracer16, sounds like you're getting into what I've got now. Go to the 79 scarab 300 resto thread and read what I've done to mine. Same engines, transmissions, rotten stringers, transom. If you enter into it with a plan and some help and motivation it's not that bad. I paid 7k for mine and now have about 13ish in it. That's with us doing all the labor including refinishing the outside. I paid someone to machine and build the engines. Starboard motor ended up with complete rebuild, port only cam and heads. I don't know what my boats worth now and don't care. We had a good time building it and will enjoy it for a while.