Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 11-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hblair I only asked due to the boat being bigger and you like to add power and then more power oh and more power. So going with the arneson's is better than the trs . Any pics of the drives and any ideas on color or finish look for the boat any paint designs or just solid color?
Old 11-25-2016, 01:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 280 Posts

Yeah I think we'll be better off with the arnesons. Funny story, I called Larry Smith a few months ago and was getting his opinion on surface drives and whether he thought they would be okay with the 38 foot straight bottom hull. He didn't see a problem with them other than he liked to have a rudder behind the surface drive. Then he asks why I was fixing up a 35 year old boat. He said the stepped hulls are much better, that hull design has come a long way since then, etc. Then I told him, "Yeah but the newer ones aren't near as cool as the old classic scarabs designed by you". He wasn't amused lol. He doesn't think his old boats are as cool as we do. Oh well. I like his design whether he does or not.

I'm in the body shop business. I've been around cars all my life. I've always been surprised how an old car (Camaro, chevelle, etc.) has such a following, brings so much money. They look cool, but the designs are antiquated and obsolete. Yet these old boats, while looking cool, you can't hardly give them away. I know there's a smaller market, but come on.

Anyway, I don't have photos of the drives yet. As far as paint sceme, I was planning on going with a Miami vice-ish paint scheme. Prolly minimal interior. I just really like the looks of the vice boats.
The following users liked this post:
1983ScarabIII (03-09-2022)
Old 11-25-2016, 02:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I sent you a private message hullofjustis.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by scarab kv
Even though the Star boat is technically a 377, there's no signs of it ever being setup for saddled tanks.
If I remember correctly, the tanks were mounted on each side of the cockpit and there would've been additional fuel fills.
That's the exact same halon extinguisher and brackets that are in my boat. Is that bulkhead glassed in at the bottom there? That bottom piece that the fuel lines are going thru looks like it has gel coat surface on it.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,188 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
Meanwhile I ran the 30 footer on eBay twice. The bidding didn't get anywhere close to where it needed to be..
Can you share what the bidding did get up to? I pulled the power out of my Panther to put in my 37' and now trying to make the decision whether to put power back in it or sell it minus engines only. Still has everything, drives, hyd steering and tranny's.
PM me if you want
Old 11-25-2016, 10:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The bidding got between 10 and 11 the first time and I think less than that the second time.
When I got to the point of needing to sell the 30, the thought of parting it out horrified me. Now the thought of giving it away for peanuts horrifies be more.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Registered

I'm in the same boat. (pun intended) I think I'll just put mild/stock power back in my Panther. I don't need to sell it and my 37' Active Thunder is up and running. I'll just put a for sale sign on it and let my brother and friends use my Panther. It owes me nothing.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hblair
Yeah I think we'll be better off with the arnesons. Funny story, I called Larry Smith a few months ago and was getting his opinion on surface drives and whether he thought they would be okay with the 38 foot straight bottom hull. He didn't see a problem with them other than he liked to have a rudder behind the surface drive. Then he asks why I was fixing up a 35 year old boat. He said the stepped hulls are much better, that hull design has come a long way since then, etc. Then I told him, "Yeah but the newer ones aren't near as cool as the old classic scarabs designed by you". He wasn't amused lol. He doesn't think his old boats are as cool as we do. Oh well. I like his design whether he does or not.

I'm in the body shop business. I've been around cars all my life. I've always been surprised how an old car (Camaro, chevelle, etc.) has such a following, brings so much money. They look cool, but the designs are antiquated and obsolete. Yet these old boats, while looking cool, you can't hardly give them away. I know there's a smaller market, but come on.

Anyway, I don't have photos of the drives yet. As far as paint sceme, I was planning on going with a Miami vice-ish paint scheme. Prolly minimal interior. I just really like the looks of the vice boats.
People have a stronger connection with cars. Due to its prevalence in our world. Utilitarian device. Boats (go fast) for the most part are a hobby. Individual connection not for the masses. Look at it this way. If there was a following or high demand most of us would not have the opportunity to enjoy them. So enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
1983ScarabIII (03-09-2022)
Old 11-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you will love the arnesons! Won't have to worry about breaking drives, will get you more MPH and then there is of course the rooster tail!

I thought the asd6 did have a rudder (of sorts) that hung down a bit similiar to my kaama's!

Can't wait to see that beast rigged up with arnesons
Old 11-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
Won't have to worry about breaking drives, will get you more MPH
Curious, how many TRS drives did you break over the years? I broke 2 in ~14 yrs. That doesn't seem too bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.