Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 01-27-2019, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

HA, These boats are never finished. When I bought my Active Thunder which really didn't need anything done to it, I still have managed to find an entire winters worth of things to fix, improve or change.

The boat looks like it is coming along Heath. When do you plan on putting the deck back on it?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 280 Posts

Yeah Jeff almost done lol. I’ve been pulling the motors out of the 30 and they are now at the machine shop. Bearing clearances not right, pistons sloppy in thei bores. Gotta have pistons replaced and they’ll be on a 0.60 over bore now. The guy that’s working on them now is more experienced on marine motors. Weve got a big trip planned in June to staniel Cay so I gotta get the 30 ready. Also we’ve got the old Dayton axles out from under the trailer. Theyre fine around town but they don’t do long distant trips to south Florida without popping or blistering tires. You simply cannot run highway speeds with them. I’ve gotta get some axles coming too.

I’ve gotta build a frame to hold up the bow of the 38 to get it off the trailer with the forklift on the stern. Not a big deal, hope to get that done this week so we can be working on the trailer too. I’ve gotta get the old bunk brackets burned off the trailer to get ready to put some different bunks on there. We’ll prolly put the boat back on the cradle to continue the work on it and put the deck back on it.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:46 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Trip to Staniel Cay

I follow you since you restored the 30 .
I wrote you allready via facebook .
I live in Germany and i own a Wellcraft 26 NOVA II built in 9 of 1989 .

I admire your life and your work a lot .
You and your family seem to be religious and diligent people.

Of course you have all the knowledge , tools and space to fullfill the job but it´s still hard and itching work .

Could you please explain to me the route you are planning to take for your trip to Staniel Cay.
It´s about 260mls ,you have to fill up the boat at the Bahamas West side arent you ?

What time do you think will it take for the whole trip ( boating time only ,of course depending on the waves )

Best regards from Germany Cologne

Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks Robert, I think we all actually admire YOU for doing what you do over there in Germany. There's probably not many powerboaters around there but you and your friends seem to have a lot of fun.

The trip to staniel is still kind of being planned. I'm thinking my 30' has a range of about 150 miles. (about 1 mile per gallon, maybe more, prolly not less). We plan to leave out of Harbor towne marina in Dania Beach early in the morning, get across the gulf stream(deep water, can get very rough depending on wind and weather), stop in Bimini (about 52 miles), check into customs, gas up, and head across the Bahama bank to Chubb Cay (about 92 miles), we will probably spend the night there. we'll gas up Then head out to nassau (about 43 miles) across the tongue of the ocean (deep water, maybe rough), then Go around the eastern end of New Providence then southeast to Staniel. We may stop at Warderick wells, Normans Cay, or other places on the way down.

Here's a few youtube videos of trips people have made.

By the way, anybody on here is welcome to go if you can rent a room or sleep on your boat. The more the merrier.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

We built a gantry frame thingy today to hold up the front of the hull while we pick up the transom with the forklift to get the hull off the trailer and put it back on the cradle. We’ll also use this to aid in putting the deck back on the boat.

Last edited by hblair; 02-01-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Old 02-02-2019, 04:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Deck back on screwed in place. Next time we’ll be glassing it down.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Old 02-02-2019, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

Told ya!
almost done !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.