Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 09-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The deck hatches were moved forward 10" on the KV with a different style Bomar
Attached Thumbnails Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-20160220_182352.jpg  
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 282 Posts

Took me a little while to figure out I was looking at two different interiors lol. Thanks for posting those photos. That is helpful to me and interesting to everybody who follows these boats.
My minds all over the place now on what to do with my interior. I've been leaning towards an overall vice tribute theme for the boat. Paint and exterior resembling a vice boat except with arneson asd6 drives. I plan on going back with separate bolsters and doing away with the gunwale padding. I want this boat to be fairly fast. So I'm planning on having less interior. There is a guy in New York who built a kv that ran 100mph with 1000hp per side with asd8 arnesons. Although I'm not shooting for that speed or power, 80 mph plus sure does seem like a lot of fun. Right now I plan on the boat looking like a vice boat to the average joe ( hatches and nav lights like they are now etc) a Resto mod vice boat. And I will make it clear that it's s tribute boat. Something to have fun with.

Last edited by hblair; 09-21-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Registered

I'm running 600s in the Snap-On boat and it flirts with 80 mph pretty easily.
Nothing wrong with a tribute boat.
Dave is the man to talk to for advice and technique on the color fade. He did a beautiful job on Brian's and has two more to do before the star boat goes to him.
I have one in my driveway as we speak that I rescued while in route to him from Alberta.
Did you say you were moving your nav lights to the deck?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

800hp to run 80? Are you running Trs drives?
Dave is the man. He's been real helpful to me.
Not real sure about the nav lights yet.

I got a little done tonight after work. I got the boat sitting stable and level on 7 different points. I also cut the starboard cockpit floor out. Surprisingly it wasn't completely rotten. It is interesting how the cockpit floor was constructed. They put together the stringers and braces, then laid 3/4 plywood down and nailed it to the stringers from the top and then laid sheets of glass on the floor from the top. The underside of the floor is just naked plywood. I didn't bother tapping the stringers or bulkheads. I plan on working on the boat tomorrow and should get a lot done...

Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

This is starting to get very interesting, your postings are very much enjoyed.

RR
Old 09-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hblair
800hp to run 80? Are you running Trs drives?
They're 600 hp with TRS. Tom Huber did the transmissions, Mel Riggs did the drives and the hull was blueprinted.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Got some more done today. Cut out the rest of the cockpit floor. The stringers and braces underneath although not as bad as I expected, tap on the hollow side. Looks like they'll all get replaced. The forward cockpit bulkhead will be replaced, as well as everything in the engine compartment, as well as the transom. The only thing forward of the cockpit bulkhead that is rotten is the center floor piece. This boat is in better shape than I thought.

We measured and stabilized the hull with bracing today like my friend Mr. McNamara (team archer) advised. That was a good call. Also got started on tearing out the transom...

Last edited by hblair; 09-24-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:11 PM
Registered

I'm assuming the notches on each end of the bulkheads are a pass through?
Old 09-24-2016, 06:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The deck has 2x4 or so joists down both sides to stiffen it up. I guess because it being a flat deck it would have no structural integrity if it weren't for those joists. The notches in the bulkheads accommodate the joists.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Heath, when you done with this one, want to do mine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.