Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 08-20-2019, 12:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 283 Posts

Thank you guys. We’ll get there at some point lol. Trent has made some progress on the bow. It will be finished in gel. The bottom of this boat will be all gelcoat.

Ok, I know this is controversial but I made the decision to go with a one piece engine hatch hinged at the rear. I just dig it too much. I prepped and bonded the top together with two layers of 1708, then removed it from the boat and put the bottom together with three staggered llayers of 1708, then put it back in place to harden. It fits well, and maybe a bit overkill but I want to be sure it would be strong enough...

Last edited by hblair; 08-20-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Did some more today. There’s a lot of trimming around the edges to be done. Also looking at some hinges. Does anybody know of any good heavy polished ones? These are 6” long on e-rigging.com. I like this style...

Old 08-20-2019, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

Heath tell me why you chose to joint them together... you had two smaller hatches light enough to side lift them by hand, also i think that made possible engine removal reinstal easier, and now you have one big and heavy one, you will need an electric hatch ram, and need to pretty sure take it off for engine R&R.

i am not judging by the way, i was thinking to swap my one hatch on my cat to 2. Side opening engine hatches !!!
Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

If you go side opening clamshell like on my 30’, if you have the factory manual spring type stays, you’re a heavy wave or wake away from the hatch suddenly popping you in the head. (Happened to me many times). If you go with clamshells with electric closures, they look to be in the way to me. I plan to make these with a removable hinge pin so two guys can pull the hatch off the boat for any maintenance work. I think it’s going to work out ok. I was planning on an electric ram for this anyway.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
I was planning on an electric ram for this anyway.
I need an electric ram for my boat. Being an engineer, I was just certain that I could find a ram that would work without paying the big $$ for one from the usual Marine sources.

​What I learned is the marine rams are much faster than the ones available elsewhere. They must have special motors. The generic ones (linear actuators, as used to pivot solar arrays) move much slower, have smaller motors and lower gearing. They would take over a minute to open. Aargh!

I also wonder if the marine ones are ignition protected, like alternators and starters. If so, they would be worth the cost. Beats going boom.

Last edited by NautiSouth; 08-22-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by NautiSouth
I need an electric ram for my boat. Being an engineer, I was just certain that I could find a ram that would work without paying the big $$ for one from the usual Marine sources.

​​​

What I learned is the marine rams are much faster than the ones available elsewhere. They must have special motors. The generic ones (linear actuators, as used to pivot solar arrays) move much slower, have smaller motors and lower gearing. They would take over a minute to open. Aargh!

I also wonder if the marine ones are ignition protected, like alternators and starters. If so, they might be worth the cost. Beats going boom.
My Cig has a hydraulic hatch ram. Super fast.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,044 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
My Cig has a hydraulic hatch ram. Super fast.
X2...........I like the single hatch
Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bringlecake
In this episode of pimp my boat.
someone 86 this bot.........
Old 08-22-2019, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

this style hatch hinge is pretty common, don't know if it will work for you

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 08-22-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
Did some more today. There’s a lot of trimming around the edges to be done. Also looking at some hinges. Does anybody know of any good heavy polished ones? These are 6” long on e-rigging.com. I like this style...

These are what are on my Panther. They mount to the top of the hatch under the sun pad and through bolted.
I am also a fan of the single hatch. I don't remove my hatch when pulling engine. I just lay it back and tether it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.