Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 10-19-2019, 09:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,306 Likes on 280 Posts

I’ve got a guy working on the trailer as I’m working on the boat. We were trying to wash the bunk stands off the trailer with a torch, but the stands are so rotten inside that the torch is ineffective, so I had my electrician come in and install a leg out of my breaker box with a welder receptacle. (This is in the bldg next door, not the body shop) We got our old Miller buzz box setup to use some gouging rods to blow the stands off the trailer. Well, my old buzz box wasn’t strong enough for the job and was getting hot. My guy brought a much bigger unit from home and it promptly started tripping breakers. Do Monday I’ll be calling the electrician back out to fix that problem. Can’t win for losing.

In in other news, making headway with the filler and block on the deck. If any of you guys do any bodywork, give 3M hookit a try. We’ve been using the system for years in finer paper but I’ve recently been using it in coarser grits. It lasts forever. At least 4 times as long as the stikit system. And pretty much does not clog at all. It’s good stuff.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gonna be sweet..................
Old 10-21-2019, 12:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Old 10-21-2019, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Gonna be a keeper Mr Blair!
Old 10-22-2019, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts

That's purdy Heath! That boat has such great lines! Lucky it's in your capable hands, might be rotting away somewhere!
Old 10-22-2019, 08:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks guys, I know it looks like not much is getting done, but there’s so many cracks, it just takes a while. Forward of the fairing there’s not near as many, so when I get up there it’ll go faster, we’ll all be rewarded in a few months when we start spraying some orchid, teal and blue.

Filler on right gunnel, more scratching on the port gunnel and deck area...

Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 812 Likes on 345 Posts

I think we all know quality work never gets done quickly. Looking forward to seeing it nearing the rigging stages. One of the very few rebuild projects that takes years and just doesn’t fizzle out.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks brother. We moved the boat away from the wall, both sides have good light so I can see it better. Block sanded the polyester on the transom today.

When this boat was sitting outside for so long, the starbd side of the hull was in the sun and is cracked badly. Today I experimented sanding it with an air file with 40 grit, and it’s going to take about 3 eternities to sand it back as far as it needs to go. I’m gonna have to find a way to do it quicker, gonna try an 8” mud hog with 40 grit to get it cut down into the gel, then 80 grit, then polyester,

Old 10-24-2019, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You're at the point that I need to bring up your boat's chine. Looking at the latest pic and some previous it sure does look like your chine has a small hook in it as it approaches the transom. I can't remember if we talked about the Scarab chine in this thread and you may have already checked it or not but back in the day I had the same boat now owned by Patrick (phughes69) and the chine on the boat has a hook in it near the transom that just kills the top end speed. Anything over 70 and the nose just kept dropping no matter how you trimmed up the drives. That being said if you have already put a straight edge on it and know you are flat or have rocker, great, but if not now is the time to fix it.
Great to see the latest progress and watching in anticipation of the final product.
Andy
Old 10-24-2019, 10:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks Andy, I’ve put a straight edge on it a few years ago lol. From what I recall it was very straight. I’ll check it again. I think what you’re seeing in the last photo is a paint paddle I have on top of the 2x4 to act as a shin to keep the hull level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.