Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Scarab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab-41/)
-   -   29 Scarab Thunder (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab/352422-29-scarab-thunder.html)

southsidespinner 02-21-2018 02:04 PM

29 Scarab Thunder

Hi,
Just upgraded our old boat to a 1994 Scarab Thunder 29. Haven't even seen the boat yet but sources say it should be good. Nothing like buying blind to keep the juices flowing, right? :D The original supercharger is gone but has a newly built 468 engine dyno'd at 447hp.

The boat will be arriving in a 2 months so until then, we'll just have to keep our imagination going. The problem is that there seems to be very little general information about these online (or anywhere) to be found. Does anyone know history or "fun facts" about the 29 Thunder -models. What's special/different on these models (except the supercharger) compared to regular 29s?

rak rua 02-21-2018 07:11 PM

Congrats!
Where are you? I bought my last 3 boats 'unseen' and waited 3-4 months on shipping. The waiting was as if Christmas Eve had fallen on Groundhog Day!

Hope it works out well, I had no significant issues with mine.

RR

Mike S. 02-23-2018 10:42 AM

Congrats I have one and love it. I’ve gone threw it from top to bottom! New 600hp engine, interior, paint, etc! And just recent went to a 2” shorty imco lower! Getting that lined out now. Boats handle really good in big chop. Easy to drive and handle! And not so big that you can’t tow it anywhere you want, with easy on the tow set up! You will like it!

southsidespinner 02-26-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by rak rua (Post 4611541)
Congrats!
Where are you? I bought my last 3 boats 'unseen' and waited 3-4 months on shipping. The waiting was as if Christmas Eve had fallen on Groundhog Day!

Hope it works out well, I had no significant issues with mine.

RR

I'm in Helsinki, Finland, in Europe. Fingers crossed and happily optimistic.

southsidespinner 02-26-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mike S. (Post 4611923)
Congrats I have one and love it. I’ve gone threw it from top to bottom! New 600hp engine, interior, paint, etc! And just recent went to a 2” shorty imco lower! Getting that lined out now. Boats handle really good in big chop. Easy to drive and handle! And not so big that you can’t tow it anywhere you want, with easy on the tow set up! You will like it!

Do you have a thunder or "regular" version? Trying to find out what separates a Thunder from a normal 29 Scarab of the same year.
- Should be one of the first ones with stepped hull (stepped hulls entered normal line up somewhere around year 2000 as far as I know).
- Also stringers should be more rigid.

rak rua 02-26-2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by southsidespinner (Post 4612577)
I'm in Helsinki, Finland, in Europe. Fingers crossed and happily optimistic.

Got a mate from Helsinki, sends me a few pics from around Finland. Looks like a lovely place but waaaay to cold for me! He's a pretty good drinker too, Vodka, Sambuca, Tequila. Cheers to the Finns, especially those with cool boats!

RR

Mike S. 02-27-2018 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by southsidespinner (Post 4612580)
Do you have a thunder or "regular" version? Trying to find out what separates a Thunder from a normal 29 Scarab of the same year.
- Should be one of the first ones with stepped hull (stepped hulls entered normal line up somewhere around year 2000 as far as I know).

I couldn't tell ya.. I was told mine was a thunder, but now I’m not sure, it’s not a step hull. Wish it was! Maybe mines a regular! Mines a 96 and I’ve had it about 5 years now!

Scarab Viking 11-19-2021 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by southsidespinner (Post 4612580)

OK, this reply is a tad bit late, but better late than never...

There were never such a thing as a 29 Thunder; the Thunder series were only offered in 31', 38' and 43'. They were offered from 1992-1994 and the main difference was the kevlar hulls. No Scarabs built by Wellcraft after that were kevlar hulls. (There weren't enough buyers who wanted pay the extra $$ for the "Composite Alloy Laminate" as the kevlar hulls were called. No Thunder series boats were stepped hulls, since the steps came out in 1998/1999. The 29 was never redesigned with steps.

Hope this clears the confusion for you guys!
The 29 (27' bottom with a 2' swim platform) is a great boat for its length though - especially in the rough!

larslindroth 11-24-2021 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scarab Viking (Post 4812842)
OK, this reply is a tad bit late, but better late than never...

There were never such a thing as a 29 Thunder; the Thunder series were only offered in 31', 38' and 43'. They were offered from 1992-1994 and the main difference was the kevlar hulls. No Scarabs built by Wellcraft after that were kevlar hulls. (There weren't enough buyers who wanted pay the extra $$ for the "Composite Alloy Laminate" as the kevlar hulls were called. No Thunder series boats were stepped hulls, since the steps came out in 1998/1999. The 29 was never redesigned with steps.

Hope this clears the confusion for you guys!
The 29 (27' bottom with a 2' swim platform) is a great boat for its length though - especially in the rough!

There was one prototype 29' Thunder with twin SBC Blackhawks produced in 1995. It was a Composite Alloy Laminate boat and so were the 25 Wellcraft P-29 boats made in 1996. The Wellcraft Scarab 23 SCS boats made 1997-1999 were also Composite Alloy Laminate boats. Also, the 5+1 made Wellcraft Scarab 26 F1 boats were layed up with the usage of Composite Alloy Laminate.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...b3e0333ae1.jpg