Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
1999 Scarab AVS - w 502 Mpi's - What to do? >

1999 Scarab AVS - w 502 Mpi's - What to do?

Notices

1999 Scarab AVS - w 502 Mpi's - What to do?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Scarab AVS - w 502 Mpi's - What to do?

So, I have been running my Scarab for about 12 years. Always kept indoors since original sale. Paint in great shape and upholstery is fine. Starboard engine finally took a dump and is non-rebuildable. I'm trying to figure options. Love the size, style and handling. For my needs its been great and the last day I had her out I was happy to have her. Of course I WANT another boat but I don't NEED one.

What I am wondering, what is the "value" of a vessel like mine AS IS vs going ahead and replacing the engine. Will I be money behind or be about even if I replace the engine? I know I need to find the right buyer.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Factory Merc power will add value to the boat. A few select custom builders will too, but not many. I would rule out any local builders without a national reputation
Old 07-31-2018, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Non rebuildable as in block is scrap? Even if that's the case buying a new block with all new internals isn't going to break the bank. If you like the boat that would be my direction. If you sell you should expect to get fair market value minus the price of a new engine x 2. JMO
Old 08-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Registered

Default Interested

I'd be interested if you decide to sell with bad motor. 3182431053.
To your original question if you have the means and can do the work yourself youd be fine money wise. If you have to take it somewhere and have it done get ready to shell out some money.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Currently looking like exhaust / head work only. Waiting on final verdict. I'll keep ur number in case it goes South. Not much of a wrench turner myself ...