91 Scarab XLT 28 Opinions >

91 Scarab XLT 28 Opinions

Notices

91 Scarab XLT 28 Opinions

Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Scarab XLT 28 Opinions

Hey guys, I have been looking to get into the powerboat game for a while now, and have found a boat near me that has piqued my interest. It is a 1991 Scarab XLT with twin 454 power. Bravo 1s. There doesn't seem to be much information on these XLT boats, so does anyone have some experience with these? Top speed? I am looking to mainly go out on Lake Michigan, and maybe some other decent sized lakes and rivers in the area.

I went and looked at the boat a few days ago, and there are some things that concerned me with the boat... I have read many threads on here about rot in the stringers and the transom on scarab boats, looking at this one it appears the exhaust, swim deck, and bottom plug have quite a bit of new caulking around them. Would this concern you?

There is also a plug on both sides on the top of the drives that are also caulked... any idea why someone would do this?

One motor has been replaced at some time and has 250 hours compared the original engine that has 600 hours. I understand at some point the one with higher hours will need work, overall the boat is in decent shape, just needs a thorough cleaning.

Some other things I found were...
There is a filled hole from an old swim platform... Big deal?
Trailer has new tires and bearings but needs to be sandblasted and repainted
Needs new decals on the side as they have brushed the dock once or twice
Interior is sound with no rips or cracks, just needs a heavy cleaning
A new sound system has been rigged in there, needs the wiring cleaned up.
Looks like some gauges have been replaced, I would expect it will need all new gauges pretty quick.
Drive and tabs indicators looked pretty weathered.
Around the front hook has a plastic piece around it, probably covering up some defects id assume.
Side fiberglass has been broken and epoxied back into place... Assume I could fix and repaint with some fiberglass.

The boat can be had for about 13k... I know it will be a project and will take some work to make it cosmetically nice again, just want your guys' opinions on whether you would buy it for that price or not. Would you pay to get it surveyed or take a chance on it as is?

I'm sorry I cant post the pictures of the issues because I have less than ten posts...

I'm sure I will have other questions pop up but thanks in advance for anyone who gives me their opinion on this one.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal for the price if you are willing to work on it.

I have a 31 excel 1990 with twin mag 454s. My top speed when light is high 60s on GPS and loaded down heavy about 63 on the GPS. Shes not crazy fast but fast enough for what I do. Has a fridge A/C and full head so lots of weight.

Check the inside of the transom really well. I got mine on a steal of a deal knowing it would need a ton of work. Mine will need a transom in a few years. Its hard as a rock on the outside but inside has soft areas. When the boat was built the glass that runs up the inside was never sealed on top. It just ran straight up and stopped creating a dam for water to sit on with the bare transom wood. The water came through the rub rail best I can figure with rain. The inside glass has lots of delamination. I got it all dried out now and sealed. Still strong enough for now to have fun but its going to need to be addressed in a few years.

These boats are great in the rough water.