Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
scarab 31 excel thinking about trip verados? >

scarab 31 excel thinking about trip verados?

Notices

scarab 31 excel thinking about trip verados?

Old 10-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts
Default scarab 31 excel thinking about trip verados?

Hello all. My scarab took a lightning strike on the lift a few months ago and its been a total nightmare since. overheating issues among other things and a spun rod bearing to add to the list.

So While engines are out its getting a new transom and I am thinking hard about doing trip 300 verados. Will add a transom bracket where the old swim platform is for the outborads. I am thinking updating her will make a pretty good boat. I love the old-school looks and cant stand the newer center counsel boats so doing this bad investment makes since to me as long as she rides nice. I will miss the sound of the bigblocks but lower fuel burn would be nice and not working on her every weekend will also be nice. I am an aircraft mechanic and fix stuff all week and don't want to be upside down inside an engine hatch on my beer drinking days off.

I have seen other larger boats like the powerplays, topgun cig and and others converted and they all seem to do well. What does everyone here think? Will she run good with the trips farther back shifting the CG back some? Should be lighter then the bigblocks and outdrives being removed. I would think topend would be about 80mph.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,334 Likes on 283 Posts

Not much talk of outboard conversions on here. If you're on facebook, become a member of classic offshore boat restoration and follow jef de jong. He's got the old top banana race boat in malaysia and doing an outboard converison on it.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
Not much talk of outboard conversions on here. If you're on facebook, become a member of classic offshore boat restoration and follow jef de jong. He's got the old top banana race boat in malaysia and doing an outboard converison on it.
Hi Heath. I can't see his bookface stuff, didn't know he's going with outboards, has he changed? Outboards make sense in this part of the world, there are no suppliers of big inboard engines. I hope I'm wrong but last I heard, the project had stalled.
Small point, he's in Phuket (Thailand).

RR
Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,334 Likes on 283 Posts

Ah ok, forgot exactly where he was. His project is moving along fast though. He’s moving along on it now...

Old 11-09-2019, 12:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thank you Sir.
He had a thread on the boat's arrival in Thailand, I wish he'd post the progress on OSO too.
Looking great and I know some purists won't like it but outboards are King over here.
Sorry for the derail....

RR
Old 11-09-2019, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

I think a 31 w/ outboards would be a cool rig!
Old 11-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Registered

Making some progress.
Might make a thread in the restore section. I know allot don't like the OBs here but it makes since for me at this point. Cant get pics to load. Will try later.

But old transom is almost gone. The heavy swim platform is gone and cut up. Removed the instrument panel to start filling it in. Will be finishing transom removal next then pulling all the wiring out. Got a lead on some verados so might have them next week sometime.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:45 AM
Registered

Old 11-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Gunradd
Making some progress..............
I know allot don't like the OBs here but it makes since for me at this point..........
looking good.

I used to believe that nonsense about outboards (people here don't like them) but not anymore. Like yourself, people are switching because outboards just make sense. We all love the idea of cubic inch and big noise and for some, it will always be the way to go. That's fine too but your outboard fan club is growing!

Keep up the nice work.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 11-15-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Gunradd

BOY, that looks familiar,,,,,,
replaced transom and stringers in my 38 a few years ago.
i cut out old transom,,,all dry rotted, some wet.....
i post a thread on all work

replacing main stringer and transom

good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.