Ďmy 97 scarab 22 bad decision >

Ďmy 97 scarab 22 bad decision

Notices

Ďmy 97 scarab 22 bad decision

Old 06-27-2020, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ďmy 97 scarab 22 bad decision

I shouldíve passed on this ole gal, but I didnít so sheís mine now... I shouldíve spent a lil more time and focused on checking out the condition of the floor and wetness instead of just going in with the mindset that I wanted the boat cause I knew that they are in general fun and solid lil boats...and they can be pretty fast with the right stuff done to em... I donít really care for dealing with those long stretched out boats,...or boats with more than one engine...
So the 22í (w the swim platform) appeals to what I like/wanted... I now realize before I do anything I was planning on doing engine and drive wise, Iím gonna need to get the floor redone and go from there... But I figure I can get through this summer and prolly the next if I choose to... Iíve worked on giving her a lil TLC that she needed, like wiring that had been pieced together...shifter issues...cracked impeller housing...and overall sheís solid as far as being confident I can put her in the water and run around all day and running wide open half the majority of the day... But I wanna do some cosmetic work to make her look a lil better...
Now I know Iím not gonna find any factory engine vent covers that arenít damaged or busted, nor will I find a factory windscreen, but Iím sure Iím not the only one that has needed these replaced...so any ideas, advice, on options would be awesome...it also needs the rub rail replaced, and there are a lot of stress cracks in her gel coat from bow to stern that I would like do something about... Iím prolly gonna do something like the pics below with some vinyl, but I donít really want to do a full wrap, atleast not until I get the flooring and engine compartment wood right...
Any advice and/or suggestions would be great!

Shane

The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

After partying in Vegas and realizing you got a ring on the finger doesn't mean an annulment is out of the question. Bite the bullet and lose a few buck$ rather than spending more money and painful time with the wrong gal.
The following 5 users liked this post by larslindroth:
1997SCARAB22 (06-28-2020), 93 shooter (06-29-2020), CaRoCoN (06-28-2020), thirdchildhood (07-07-2020), Unlimited jd (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 08:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by larslindroth View Post
After partying in Vegas and realizing you got a ring on the finger doesn't mean an annulment is out of the question. Bite the bullet and lose a few buck$ rather than spending more money and painful time with the wrong gal.
Lol...thanks for the laugh...! And I prolly should cut my losses but Iím a glutton for punishment! Iím not gonna screw someone over by not being upfront about the condition itís in floor wise, and donít see another idiot like me that would be willing to pay much money for it, so I might as well keep it and get as much use out of it as I can...
larslindroth (06-30-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

If thatís the case, like it and use it for what it is, donít try and make it something itís not.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with unlimited. 22 was never built to run very fast. Scarab made a similar boat that started as a 22. Donnie Wadeck did some bottom changes and called it a 23 with high back buckets and center throttle. Wellcraft powered with 502 MPI 415 HP. Boat was a blast and ran mid 70's.
larslindroth (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:56 AM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

There will be plenty of great boats in that size and price range for sale in the very near future. I think most of us folks on 'Main Street' are not even able to imagine how tough the economic times ahead will be, politics aside. Naturally, disclose that your boat will soon need structural repairs, due to her age and condition, and I believe she'll find a new sugar daddy in a heartbeat. Even if you get to keep 50 cents on the dollar in a quick divorce, which is better than expected in most divorces, since an annulment seems out of the question, I still think it's your best choice. By the end of this summer/autumn you'll find the right one way within your budget and then this coming winter and spring you may spend romancing your new gal. Just don't go and splash her in Lake Mead before you know that she's truly seaworthy or you'll find yourself in distress again.
1997SCARAB22 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

There will be plenty of great boats in that size and price range for sale in the very near future. I think most of us folks on 'Main Street' are not even able to imagine how tough the economic times ahead will be, politics aside. Naturally, disclose that your boat will soon need structural repairs, due to her age and condition, and I believe she'll find a new sugar daddy in a heartbeat. Even if you get to keep 50 cents on the dollar in a quick divorce, which is better than expected in most divorces, since an annulment seems out of the question, I still think it's your best choice. By the end of this summer/autumn you'll find the right one way within your budget and then this coming winter and spring you may spend romancing your new gal. Just don't go and splash her in Lake Mead before you know that she's truly seaworthy or you'll find yourself in distress again.
Oh dear me, once again youre comparing the situation to human relationships. It's a boat!

The bond between a man and his boat can't be explained. It occurs on a whole different level and no divorce attorney or legal document should ever stand in it's way. It's not a hollow promise of love offered before a Vegas one night stand, it's not blurted out in a drunken haze just to get into bed, it's real, it comes from the heart.

OP, advertise it cheap, do essential maintenance and enjoy it while watching the market. If you get any genuine offer think hard, in a situation like this, your first offer is often the best.

Sorry about your misfortune, I hope some better luck is on the way.

RR
The following 3 users liked this post by rak rua:
1997SCARAB22 (06-30-2020), larslindroth (07-01-2020), resurrected (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd View Post
If thatís the case, like it and use it for what it is, donít try and make it something itís not.
Thatís my plan...for the most part I just want a dependable boat that is solid and looks good on the water...ofcourse once I get to that point Iíll prolly want to to do more but if I do Iíll be doing plenty of research and get as much info and advice as possible before doing anything... My thoughts are to swap the stock carbed 454 with a 502 EFI, upgrade the drive, and put some tabs on it...but Iím aware tabs on a 22í boat prolly isnít gonna be a very popular idea with most...
Old 06-30-2020, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 90viper View Post
I agree with unlimited. 22 was never built to run very fast. Scarab made a similar boat that started as a 22. Donnie Wadeck did some bottom changes and called it a 23 with high back buckets and center throttle. Wellcraft powered with 502 MPI 415 HP. Boat was a blast and ran mid 70's.
I canít imagine mid 70ís but I would like to see low 60ís as long as itís not squirrelly as as hell... What would your thought be on swapping the stock carbed 454 w a 502 EFI, upgraded out drive, and trim tabs???
Old 06-30-2020, 08:01 PM
Registered

Thank You Sir for your input/advice I appreciate it... As far as the economics of any and everything right now...itís pretty scary Iím an oilfield hand and things arenít good right now to say the least but my back up gig is going pretty good for now atleast...and hopefully it will stay that way until things pick back up with the price of a barrel of oil!
larslindroth (07-01-2020)

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser