Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Scarab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab-41/)
-   -   Scarab II pulling engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab/375409-scarab-ii-pulling-engines.html)

Seaweed100 04-12-2022 07:18 PM

Scarab II pulling engines

Hey Guys,
I have an 84 scarab II with 454's/TRS drives. I am pulling both engines; Do I need to pull the drives in order to pull the engines? If not, should I pull the engines out with the transmissions attached or separate the two and then pull the engine out? The transmissions and Drives are fine so I would like to leave them in if possible. If you have any special tricks or things to watch out for, please let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
John

Rookie 04-12-2022 08:51 PM

I pull my TRS engines and leave the transmissions in place. I do support the transmissions later on with wood. I have BW transmissions. Not saying it is the right way to do it, but I have done it many times and the hull has sat for 5 yrs this way prior to putting new engines in it. Everything was fine.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...2cc69dc37a.jpg

Seaweed100 04-12-2022 09:11 PM

Thanks, that helps a lot. Did you take your manifolds off prior to pulling the engines?

Craney 04-12-2022 09:27 PM

I’ve done it many times the same as Rookie.

Team Archer 04-13-2022 03:22 PM

I recommend pulling the drives off and then the motors out because you should always reseal the drive to the gimbal. And in the long run its easer. Check your bellows also. Regards Dan

jeff32 04-13-2022 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Team Archer (Post 4828888)
I recommend pulling the drives off and then the motors out because you should always reseal the drive to the gimbal. And in the long run its easer. Check your bellows also. Regards Dan

agreed ! quick look up and maintenance if needed while at it... cheap insurance

Rookie 04-13-2022 08:17 PM

My starboard drive has taken 2-7 hrs to put on, port never an issue. (I have also switched drives, and replaced yoke shaft) I have alignment tools that are perfect, trans tail stocks, new bearings, rebuilt trans. When it does go in it slips in like butter. I will not remove that drive unless it is blown.

hblair 04-13-2022 08:43 PM

I’m the poster child for remove and install of TRS on a 30 foot scarab. There’s no telling how many times I did it. From destroyed engines to broken drives, etc. I still have about 3 new oil seals somewhere, I replaced them on the regular. I have a set of decent 23 pitch quicksilver props I can dig out if they’ll help you.
Tell us more about your boat. Any photos?

Seaweed100 04-15-2022 08:39 AM

OK Guys, today is the day we begin to pull the engines. I am going to go with Rookie and leave the drives in. Any advice would be helpful, 1st steps ect. going to take lots of Pics and label everything. Estimated time to pull an engine?

hblair 04-15-2022 09:55 AM

Are you running borg warner or merctrans transmissions? Are you running offshore motor mounts or the soft mount stud with removable nut type? Either way the most challenging part is going to be the starboard side of starboard engine. The starter and steering cooler is confined. You will learn to stand on your head. If you're young, mechanical and not claustrophobic I'm guessing 4-5 hours. We got to where we could pull both drives, and both engines in a couple of hours. But that's two guys and a forklift.

If you're running merctrans transmissions you better support the transmission well or you can damage or loosen the doughnut seal that holds it in the gimble. I actually wouldn't recommend that method with the merctrans. Better to pull the drives. You can inspect your U joints, and replace your gasket and seal too. (The ujoints tend to 'splode at the most inopportune times)