Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Houston, I think we have a problem... >

Houston, I think we have a problem...

Notices

Houston, I think we have a problem...

Old 05-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Houston, I think we have a problem...

Last one for now - what is this linkage? I thought it had something to do with the Silent Choice exhaust, but it looks like there is another linkage back on the Y pipe that should control the exhaust. So what is this doohickey? Both motors have this stuff...
Attached Thumbnails Houston, I think we have a problem...-290-004.jpg  
Old 05-04-2005, 04:10 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The linkage on the starboard exhaust riser is your Bravo gear shift. Check both exhaust riser gaskets on that motor. It would be a good idea if that proves to be the problem to change them on the other motor also as a preventive measure. Remember the gaskets may look OK but the riser or manifold could be corroded enough to allow leakage. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Registered

Am I to assume that the riser gasket is between the manifold and the riser? As opposed to the exhaust gasket which is between the manifold and the head (learnin' something new every day!)
Old 05-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gasket between the manifold and the head can not make milk shake. The one between the elbow and the manifold has a water jacket and an exhuast passage in it. I got some bad news though. Most of the time if that gasket has let enough water in to make milkshake, the valves are already screwed. How long did you let the engine idle on the hose? Merc actually doesn't recomend running the engine below 1200RPM on the hose becuase if you have high water pressure at the hose it can cuase reversion. I have only ever seen it happen 3 times but it is a possibility. The elsows that you have on that motor are the old bottom flange SS elbows and are were a very poor design. they are tottaly interchangable with the new cast iron top flange elbows wich work a whole lot better. I would recomend replaceing them with new ones on both engines. IF the milshake was cuased by reversion from ideling on the hose all you need to do is flush the crankase and you bcak in buissness. You will have to change the oil a few times to get it all out . They also sell an engine flush at NAPA that after the first drain you substitute for one of the quarts of the oil. The stuff works great but I think all it realy is Diesel fuel. It ussually takes 3 or 4 oil changes to get it all out and I like to change the filter every other time during the flushing process. Good luck and I hope I was of some help.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Registered

Oh and the dookicky you pointed to, the black metal box looking thing, is the ECM housing. The top folds open, its sometimes held down by a wingnut on either end that you just need to loosen not remove to get it open. Once you get it open you will see 3 nuts that hold it to the elbow(there are 3 studs in the side of the elbow) take them off and flop it out of the way. Same goes for the shift bracket, 3 nuts, just have a look at it and only take out the 3 that hold it on, they are recessed. you don't need to take the rest of them off that hold the throws on the shift bracket. Leave the cables attached and don't mess with them or you will mess up the shift adjustment and ou have to pull the drive and use some specialty tool to set it correctly.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya good idea ..replace one quart with kerosene or diesel.. run it a couple hours ..change it again till its clean.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Ya good idea ..replace one quart with kerosene or diesel.. run it a couple hours ..change it again till its clean.
I would't run it any longer then it takes to put some heat in the oil and I also woudln't rev it higher then 2000 or so, a quart of diesel will thin the oil alot more then you think.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
I would't run it any longer then it takes to put some heat in the oil and I also woudln't rev it higher then 2000 or so, a quart of diesel will thin the oil alot more then you think.
Done it a hundred times in cars with noisy lifters ..It cleans out the sludge pretty well.. You have to get it hot and run it through the oil passages to do any good IMHO Tranny fluid works well too
Old 05-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Registered

It could very well be reversion from high water pressure. My neighbor came over to take a look when I fired her up, and he did turn the hose up while he was standing there (just trying to be helpful).

Maybe I need to change the oil and see what happens before I start pulling things apart. Any suggestions on oil-change gizmos? I had the 5 gallon bucket / 12v pump set up, but lent it to someone and haven't seen it since. Wondering if that is right way to go.

Thanks guys, this is all new to me (my last boat was brand spankin' new, this one is almost 9 years old). This is why OSO is a bargain!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

I get emulsified oil out using half and half oil/diesel mixture run through the engine for about three minutes at idle. That usually cuts all the emulsified oil out. I then fill with cheap oil just to check and run it. If I don't get anymore emulsified oil, I drain it and put in good oil. Running the diesel won't hurt the engine, diesel has a lot of lubricating qualities.

Quick Reply: Houston, I think we have a problem...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.