Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Tuning a Maximus pair for a cat >

Tuning a Maximus pair for a cat

Notices

Tuning a Maximus pair for a cat

Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tried putting the pvs plugs in all the holes, also topped off the tanks, had only run the 34's before with 7/8-1/8 tanks.

Planing was worse, broke loose to the point where I did not get up once, did on the next two attempts. Next trick is to put on the Imco cavitation plates, have one, need to buy another

will run it today as is, lloks like I should really have more diffuser ring, hoping the cav plates will help enough
Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Registered

update.....

I ran for about 5-6 weeks with the 34's and cav plates, got up every time, but it was closer than I cared for, they would reaallly free up on breakover where I was concerned i would not complete the cycle, lots of throttle pull back to get them to hook up.

When I got my 30's back from Wayne (tried them on his 30) I compard them to the 32's- the 32's appeared, aside form the slight working to have been reduced in diameter by about 3/4"- did this with the back to back eyeball method, 3/8 shorter tips. The 34's were the same smaller diameter.

James wanted his loaners back (can't blame him) and i was anxious to run the 30's again becasue my memory said they were awesome out of the hole. So I puty them on and went and topped off both tanks, hit the lake with the normal load- one 100lb soon to be ex wife ballast usually sitting either in the cabbin lounge or the front seat while my son sits centered on the rear bench.

The 30's were again awesome, a bit of hesitation due to low power, but nothing close to the other two sets, then they freed up in a smooth tractable way that was easy to plain confidently. I only had traffic conditions once to run it up, seemed doggier up top- ran it low 80's before I had to slow down- not sure if it was heat, larger diameter, no leading edge work/labbing full tanks of fuel or all of the above.

I could run a full notch maybe 1.5 notches (heads up indicators) more trim and have less roost- and that's with full tanks

so, where do i go from here from this data?

32's, full diameter, leading edges tweaked, 1/2 diffuser missing? 34's the same way? pony up to try stock 32's and 34's from Bblades?

PS- I do have ext boxes

Last edited by Cattitude; 08-08-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cattitude
update.....

I ran for about 5-6 weeks with the 34's and cav plates, got up every time, but it was closer than I cared for, they would reaallly free up on breakover where I was concerned i would not complete the cycle, lots of throttle pull back to get them to hook up.

When I got my 30's back from Wayne (tried them on his 30) I compard them to the 32's- the 32's appeared, aside form the slight working to have been reduced in diameter by about 3/4"- did this with the back to back eyeball method, 3/8 shorter tips. The 34's were the same smaller diameter.

James wanted his loaners back (can't blame him) and i was anxious to run the 30's again becasue my memory said they were awesome out of the hole. So I puty them on and went and topped off both tanks, hit the lake with the normal load- one 100lb soon to be ex wife ballast usually sitting either in the cabbin lounge or the front seat while my son sits centered on the rear bench.

The 30's were again awesome, a bit of hesitation due to low power, but nothing close to the other two sets, then they freed up in a smooth tractable way that was easy to plain confidently. I only had traffic conditions once to run it up, seemed doggier up top- ran it low 80's before I had to slow down- not sure if it was heat, larger diameter, no leading edge work/labbing full tanks of fuel or all of the above.

I could run a full notch maybe 1.5 notches (heads up indicators) more trim and have less roost- and that's with full tanks

32's, full diameter, leading edges tweaked, 1/2 diffuser missing? 34's the same way? pony up to try stock 32's and 34's from Bblades?
Or just trade for a 26
Old 08-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cattitude
update.....

PS- I do have ext boxes
I think you've found your answer. Once your up on plane and running good. Dump the ballast. Tis easier to go faster with less weight.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered

Gary- will you be at grand on sat?