Class 1, step in the right direction

Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Class 1, step in the right direction

31/08/2008
TEAMS VOTE FOR SWEEPING CHANGES TO RULES
Sunday, 31 August, MAMAIA-CONSTANTA (Romania): The World Professional Powerboating Association (WPPA), has announced a raft of technical rule changes to the Class 1 World Powerboat Championship which will be brought into effect on January 1, 2009, following a meeting with IOTA, team owners, engine manufacturers, boat builders and the WPPA in Mamaia-Constanta.

The new rules, which focus on reducing costs, improving the level of competition amongst the teams and broadening the level of entry of boats into the Championship, were voted in by the majority of the team owners with a view to increasing participation in the sport.

The key decisions taken at the meeting include:

- the introduction of a new engine-boat package, 11.5m – 13m in length, weighing 4100kgs running 790hp naturally aspirated engines, which has been designed using the same power to weight ratio as that of the existing Class 1 boats, looking at attracting the Australian Superboat and the American Supercat-type boats into Class 1.

- the appointment of a sole propeller manufacturer for the Championship. The first option voted on is for Five Axis propellers with teams limited to a maximum of three sets for the season.

- the removal of all electronic devices

It was also agreed that the introduction and implementation of any new equipment not currently being used in Class 1 must be approved in writing by the WPPA, and that any future changes or the introduction of new rules will be drawn up by a Technical Committee which will be appointed by the WPPA, composed of members independent of the Class 1 teams.

And for the future, the driver’s representative will assist the World Professional Powerboating Association with the approval of the race courses.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

They all sound like good ideas. If the teams are all into better competition at less cost its always good. That should bring more boats and I like the idea of having classes close to the US teams rules. Maybe now there can be some cross racing
MD
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

hopefully it will lead to some teams from both sides going back and forth, those teams travel enough that a race in the US isn't really a big deal if we can make it worth their time.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,737 Likes on 3,794 Posts

The single propellor source will have some people up ion arms.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't understand how this is a step in the right direction if it obsoleted every engine and prop these guys had? I really don't see any US teams heading across the pond to race. I agree it will lower costs.....
Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

if the top spec cat class is similar here and there, it can't be a bad thing... at least gives teams the option.

back when crc was going from 750 to extreme, mike was going to race the dubai race but logistics never worked out so they could (between rerigging the boat with the detuned merc 1075's and getting the boat there in time after key west)... i think there might be a few teams that try a race or two over there, but more importantly, maybe victory, qatar, jotun and the like might come race over here for at least the worlds...

and even if none of the US teams go, cheaper entry into Class 1 is a good thing, allows more of the euro and australian teams the chance of doing it...

as far as the equipment, they voted for it, i am assuming they are good with it. and with the weight lowered, it may even mean new boats for some of the teams to be competitive.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,737 Likes on 3,794 Posts

I think thier schedule starts around the first of dec, It would not leave enough time for shipping. I remember back in 2001 one of the class 1 boats ran in Miami before heading overseas.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

"the removal of all electronic devices"

Like what?? to what extent?? Data loggers? Intercoms? Fuel systems??
Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

TRACTION CONTROL,,,,seriously!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

single source prop manufactures will not work. they will run out of props to build. it has to be who paid what to be the sole provider.

Quick Reply: Class 1, step in the right direction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.