Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
You Might Be an Idiot Ifffffff........... >

You Might Be an Idiot Ifffffff...........

Notices

You Might Be an Idiot Ifffffff...........

Old 02-15-2019, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
...... especially if you don't speak Spanish!
Bubba and his cell mates probably would prefer if the dumba** was silent anyways
Old 02-15-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

Story said they’re from the Keys.

As Jup says, most of the people down there, are from up north.
Paticularly the Keys.

Bums living on half sunk, abandoned boats EVERYWHERE down there.
Chase their dream down there and find out how hard it is.

Everytime we’ve been there, I grab the local paper to catch up their news.
News that never makes it up north.

Couple examples:

#1.
Two brothers out fishing come upon a bail of contraband. They pull it in the boat to investigate.
One of the brothers, decides it’s coke and takes a snort.
It instantly kills him.

#2.
A guy is entering the local establishment in the lower keys when a woman in front of the place begs him for money for a beer and he declined.
After his visit and he is exiting, he walks out the door where the woman is waiting.
She shoots and kills him.

#3.
On a stay at the Kon Tiki In Islamorada, Bay side, I was enjoying my morning coffee by the water when I watched a guy get off his anchored live aboard house boat (no water, plumbing or electricity) and into his aluminum john boat w/an electric trolling motor and head to shore.
These people know where they can get to land w/o issues for supplies and work, ideally as close to their boat as possible.
Most are probably bar backs, cooks etc.
They leave their tenders there all day before returning to their boat.
I just happened to be back by the water (this time w/a cocktail) when this guy returned.
Where he landed, to his boat was probably a 1/2 mile, against wind to shore, w/wind on return.
I was surprised the batteries got him to shore and expected paddling to get him back.
He got about a 1/3 of the way back to house boat when batteries died in the tender.
He cracked a beer and drifted, while the wind took him straight to his house boat!

#4.
A trip where we had one of our boats down, we were exploring hidden canals leading into Marathon Key.
A ways back one of them we came upon a commune of people living on half sunken boats tied to trees!
There were cars and bicycles parked in a nearby clearing.
The largest boat was a 50’-ish sloop that was sitting on the bottom and listing at 10*.
People were living on it!
Think: Deliverence.

Not much surprises me down there but does make me laugh.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
As long as you don`t steal a boat or work for a company that restricts visiting Cuba you`ll be fine.
I thought it was a great trip going back next month.
My buddy is an Irish citizen, he travels to Cuba annually for vacation/diving and has for 20+ years. He loves the place.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Registered

Ive always wanted to go too.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic

#3.
On a stay at the Kon Tiki In Islamorada, Bay side, I was enjoying my morning coffee by the water when I watched a guy get off his anchored live aboard house boat (no water, plumbing or electricity) and into his aluminum john boat w/an electric trolling motor and head to shore.
These people know where they can get to land w/o issues for supplies and work, ideally as close to their boat as possible.
Most are probably bar backs, cooks etc.
They leave their tenders there all day before returning to their boat.
I just happened to be back by the water (this time w/a cocktail) when this guy returned.
Where he landed, to his boat was probably a 1/2 mile, against wind to shore, w/wind on return.
I was surprised the batteries got him to shore and expected paddling to get him back.
He got about a 1/3 of the way back to house boat when batteries died in the tender.
He cracked a beer and drifted, while the wind took him straight to his house boat!
That’s actually pretty boss action there. Lol

If it was teenagers in the op’s story I can understand some bad decisions and want to slap the parents, but these people were no spring chickens.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Registered

Way cool place to stare at the water a few days.

Same trip, two mornings in a row, I watched a twin turbine, private helicopter land just up the road. Stayed a couple hrs and left both times.
Had a bud down for a night that flies one for Miami rescue and asks him a guestimate of cost per hr of use. He guessed $4K per!

We then speculated on its owner............., and only one w/ties to that area that we could come up w/was Wayne Huizenga.

Our favorite place in the Keys. Docks, ramp, gazebo on water etc.
I take binoculars for just such a need

One visit, while at the gazebo, a guy was finishing and had to run to his cottage and handed me his fishing pole.
I pulled in a 2' shark while he was gone.
Yes he was bummed

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster

That’s actually pretty boss action there. Lol

If it was teenagers in the op’s story I can understand some bad decisions and want to slap the parents, but these people were no spring chickens.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
My buddy is an Irish citizen, he travels to Cuba annually for vacation/diving and has for 20+ years. He loves the place.
The Cuban people in Cuba are super nice.
The ahole Cubans in Miami who think they own the place different story.

Where else can you get a 3 bedroom house with ocean view and pool for $184/night lol

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 02-15-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

there is a big difference in the Cuban people and the Cuban Government
Old 02-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were there 2 weeks ago and it was beautiful, 100 years ago. Havana is just crumbling away and needs to be pushed into the sea. We did the tourist thing in a 55' Chevy and I was in fear of a building collapsing on us everywhere we went.

With that said, if you can wing it, go see it.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdusa
We were there 2 weeks ago and it was beautiful, 100 years ago. Havana is just crumbling away and needs to be pushed into the sea. We did the tourist thing in a 55' Chevy and I was in fear of a building collapsing on us everywhere we went.

With that said, if you can wing it, go see it.
A friend who went on the FPC Cuba Poker Run said the same thing! They ate at a nice restaurant with broken windows, like rocks got thrown through the windows and they never fixed them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.