Carb Spacers, anyone using them? >

Carb Spacers, anyone using them?

Notices

Carb Spacers, anyone using them?

Old 05-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carb Spacers, anyone using them?

I was looking at a friends engine compartment yesterday, he had added carb spacers on both engines ( other wise stock, 330hp, 454s). He said he added those and increased the timing 3 degrees.

Would this do anything?
carb spacers

This place has a bunch of them and talk for maybe 20hp increase. That's cheap hp for about $100.
Which ones are best? Alum looks the best. They say the Phenolic or the Phenolic wood ones are the best.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:45 PM
FFO
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are in a champion they won't help.. HAHAHAHA... Just kidding is it Carl's boat.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Mr. Demeanor

They are a crap shoot. Helps some, hurts others. You wont see any speed increase but you might find better low/mid power. If your running a Holley with power valves, they can upset that circuit a bit and cause a stumble in transition. This can be fixed w/a proper power valve though. I have pretty much the same engine as you but mines painted OMC gray. I got good results with a Wieand Stealth intake manifold but nothing when adding a spacer to it.

Old 05-19-2003, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Out on a limb here but I think many gains on otherwise stock are due to slight leaning out. Only way to know is with a GPS on the same day. Get the bolts ready and swap it right on the water so you can test back to back.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:39 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FFO, yep it's Carl's boat. You going to be parked next to me again? I think I'm putting in the barn next weekend.

I've got 454 mags, with Qjet carbs.... that would be a pretty easy swap out on the water, hmmmm... Maybe take a timing light too. That would be another easy test. As long as I don't drop a bolt.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:34 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

If you do run one, go with the 4 hole. It will give a stronger signal to the carb. Then again, you have stock motors so it really won't be worth the time. That's assuming you could even find one for a quad.

BTW-the most I've ever seen was 13hp. And the next spacer design caused the engine to loose hp! It's a real crap shoot.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does a spacer work in changing the peak torque RPM range, and does it affect idle? I am trying to get a little more hp on the top end, and I had heard that sometimes a spacer will help on the top end. I had also heard the were old school, and no one uses them any more. What is the scoop.

BTW -- 454/425 crate motors with new cams that a well respected member here said would get me another 25hp or so up high.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:33 PM
FFO
Registered

Payton hope to be in this weeking . See you soon.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Allan4

My motor liked them, worth about 10hp on the dyno. They can be tq killers though, never know until you give them a try, every motor combo is different. I run an open 1". It tailed off with a 2"