Heads Up Bravo XR Shorty Owners >

Heads Up Bravo XR Shorty Owners

Notices

Heads Up Bravo XR Shorty Owners

Old 08-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads Up Bravo XR Shorty Owners

Yesterday, before leaving, I saw the metal plate above the propeller being loose. Part# 841009T1 Splash Plate Kit. I bolted it back up. Only one bolt.

5 miles later, that thing was gone, and it now rests south of the Shinnecock lock.

When this inocuous $100 part is gone, your boat might be next to impossible to get on plane, the prop tends to spin like wild, and your day is ruined. Most of all, nobody stocks this part, it must be shipped from Fondle-Lake.

I will use plenty of threadlocker on that sole bolt, I will keep a wary eye on that plate, and a replacement part at the ready. Items 47-51 in image.
Attached Thumbnails Heads Up Bravo XR Shorty Owners-plate.jpg  

Last edited by Peconic; 08-04-2003 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Registered

While we are at it, here's my other issue. I have had several overheat conditions with my HP525/XR Shorty (slightly raised X) combination. Always a few minutes after getting underway. After becoming VERY adept at changing the raw water impeller, and after serioulsy disturbing the parts store by buying 5 impellers ("my supply for the week") at the same time, some research was done.

- If the drive is trimmed out, and if the seastrainer has been openend or flushed, there usually is no water flow after start. To replicate: Empty seastrainer, drive out, close seastrainer, start engine, no water flow.

- If the drive is trimmed in, and if the seastrainer has been openend or flushed, there occasionally is no water flow after starting.

Apparently, the raw water pump likes to be primed, and an empty (or half full) sea strainer breaks the prime. Lowering the drive sometimes creates a prime, sometimes not. The problem can be cured by lowering the drive and by filling the seastrainer with a bucket. Since I followed this procedure, no more melted impellers.

We will remove the drive next week and check for kinked hoses.

FYI, I never had a raw water problem while underway, and I have been riding quite hard. The problem always manifested itself in the minutes or seconds after start.

Recommendation: After flushing or opening the seastrainer, always monitor for proper water flow after start. If no water flow, cut off immediately and fill the sea strainer
Old 08-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

WT
The parts you are losing off your drive are the cavitation plate. Thats why it so hard getting on plane
Dan
Old 08-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Registered

Dan: Exactly. Although in this instance, Merc insists on calling the part a Splash Plate. Usually, a cavitation plate is part of the housing. This splash plate is bolted onto the housing with one measly bolt (item #51.) I have no idea why that bolt suddenly developed an urge to autorotate. I had it bolted down pretty good before leaving my dock. 5 miles later .. plonk! ... the plate goes into the drink.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When I got my new shorty , it didn't come with that plate but I have had no problem, does it serve any other purpose other than getting in plan?

Eddie
Old 08-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey peconic,isn't boating great???,I just got #3 eggbeater runnin today on my day off,so hopefully i'll get some more hours out of this than the last two,you goin racin this weekend? tripps
Old 08-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Registered

Eddie: Dunno. See the drawing. Exactly like it is on my drive. I don't think it serves anyother purpose. Getting on plane is a royal pain without the thingie, plus there is a monstrous roostertail.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Registered

Tripps: Congrats on being back 2gether. No racing this weekend. Next date 8/14.

Meet us this Sat. at 11am (not later) at the Shinnecock canal for the annual Fun Run to Claudio's. Be there! Trailer Queens need not apply.

Last edited by Peconic; 08-04-2003 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've lost five cavitation plates and wiped out three sets of props
Old 08-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey pecpnic,i'd love to go out there,but the #3 eggbeater,is still untested,and my two last tripps out were 1 mile past the bridge and 1 mile before the bridge,would you attempt to go that far on a new beatter? tripps

Quick Reply: Heads Up Bravo XR Shorty Owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.