First time boat owner Donxi 22ZX >

First time boat owner Donxi 22ZX

Notices

First time boat owner Donxi 22ZX

Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time boat owner Donxi 22ZX

Just bought my first boat yesterday, donzi 22ZX. Needs a short block for the 454 mag mpi. My plan was to do some small upgrades to the motor while it’s out of the boat and in pieces. Thought about upgrading the cam but I know nothing about the duration, lift, etc..
Also the guy I bought the boat from suggested installing the Holley EFI and removing the whole fuel cooling unit. Is this a good idea or more headache than it’s worth?
Any other upgrades I should do within a reasonable price?
Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

When the motor is out you are sure to find things that need replacing and I would expect to pay just as much if not more for the needed repairs than you will pay for the short block. I would try to build a 454 merc mag EFI or just upgrade to a 502 carbed or mag EFI if you have the money, may be able to find some cheap takeouts. Post this in the Technical, General Q&A section and you will get better suggestions.

Recommend new oil cooler, test exhaust manifolds for leaks, new spark plug wires, ez oil drain kit, inspect battery cables and fuel lines. Look for movement of engine bulkhead, especially in the upper corners, new bilge pump and float switch, take a plastic hammer and knock around look for rotted wood in stringers or transom, test gas for rust in fuel tank via a fuel in glass jar or have gas tested, inspect transom assemblies for sagging gimbal bearings, shifter bellows may be easier to replace while engine is out, look at oil pan for corrosion and replace if necessary.