Donzi 18 Classic Questions >

Donzi 18 Classic Questions

Notices

Donzi 18 Classic Questions

Old 12-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Donzi 18 Classic Questions

I have recently purchased a 1974 18 classic and have some questions that I didn’t find answers to using the search feature.

where can I get a throttle/shifter for a left hand drive?

it has a mercruiser 350 and Volvo drive, the power trim (lift) doesn’t work and the motor appears to be toast, where can I get this part?

would there be any benefit to swapping the Volvo drive for a bravo?

thanks for any answers/help.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search for parts based on the Volvo drive, not donzi. Any marine parts place should be able to sell you a throttle shifter and trim pump.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Yeah , shouldn't be too hard to source a replacement for that 'trim' or is it really just the tilt motor ? Is your outdrive a 270 or a 280 OR a 270T or a 280T ?
As for changing over to a Bravo ... it isn't going to be cheap and your transom is going to have to be re-sealed and cut for a B unit , plus the motor will more than likely have to be shifted as well. At this point your transom might be in need of a total re-build anyway on that vintage but the big question is , what condition is the fuel tank in ?
A new Bravo transom and drive is going to be a fair bit heavier than the existing Volvo and you can see that in that most of the C 18s had Alpha units once Donzi began converting over to 'black' , even up to almost present day.
If your steering is on the port side you'll have to counter-rotate the Bravo unit as well. The old 270 and 280 Volvo drives were bullet proof although not quite as hydrodynamic as the Alpha units so there's always a trade off somewhere.
Most Donzis of that vintage were very pretty due to color options . Post a pic or 2 !
Old 12-07-2019, 05:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by madbouyz
Yeah , shouldn't be too hard to source a replacement for that 'trim' or is it really just the tilt motor ? Is your outdrive a 270 or a 280 OR a 270T or a 280T ?
As for changing over to a Bravo ... it isn't going to be cheap and your transom is going to have to be re-sealed and cut for a B unit , plus the motor will more than likely have to be shifted as well. At this point your transom might be in need of a total re-build anyway on that vintage but the big question is , what condition is the fuel tank in ?
A new Bravo transom and drive is going to be a fair bit heavier than the existing Volvo and you can see that in that most of the C 18s had Alpha units once Donzi began converting over to 'black' , even up to almost present day.
If your steering is on the port side you'll have to counter-rotate the Bravo unit as well. The old 270 and 280 Volvo drives were bullet proof although not quite as hydrodynamic as the Alpha units so there's always a trade off somewhere.
Most Donzis of that vintage were very pretty due to color options . Post a pic or 2 !

Only reason I asked about the bravo change is I have a complete xr from gimbal to lower. It is a power tilt drive, no trim. The steering sucks but it eventually goes where I point it. I took it out today and it’s a blast, just need to clean her up a bit and enjoy it. The transom and stringers are solid as a rock and obvious that someone replaced both not too terribly long ago.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Hey , an X18 . Do you know they're faster than a regular C18 ?
The old cable steering Volvo system can get pretty sloppy over time. Maybe a new cable and tightening up a few things can help .
Old 12-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Not to steer you away from this site but you can find pretty much anything you want for these boats at donzi dot org.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Not to steer you away from this site but you can find pretty much anything you want for these boats at donzi dot org.
I have tried to register for that site 3 times with 0 success.