1999 Donzi ZX Questions >

1999 Donzi ZX Questions

Notices

1999 Donzi ZX Questions

Old 12-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1999 Donzi ZX Questions

What can you tell me about this era of Donzi gel, paint, graphics/stripes? See the attached pictures for reference (pic for reference only, not my boat). The gel on this boat looks like it has decent potential to shine up pretty good. Its already holding a reflection, even with the bad light. I would imagine with the correct FOY or similar process and some work, it would look even better. What do you think? Is it in a starting condition that could produce a nice outcome? It does appear to be yellow-ish in tint. Were these boats actually supposed to be an off-white as opposed to a bright white? Also, related to the striping, I am assuming these are actually under the Gel and can not be removed. My first intention is to keep the boat with the vintage/stock look. But I have seen some people remove the graphics on Formula Fastechs and the all white looks is pretty sharp. Was wondering if these Donzi's can be similarly removed. I am happy to hear your thoughts and advice on this Ol Donzi...

Old 12-26-2020, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I understand all of the graphics to be paint on this era of Donzi's. We have a 99 33zx and can confirm the graphics are paint -- even the white on the sides from rubrail to chine is all paint.

Good luck with the quest--ours was pretty roached but has gotten a lot better with a couple of buffs. Frustrating thing to me is poor previous nick repairs and a few spots where the former owner burned through the white paint on the sides to underlying base of white gel ... just looks "splotchy" .
Old 01-05-2021, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

My 2000 zx22 is painted over graphics as well. I was hoping to take a eraser wheel to the pin stripes but I guess I’ll be dealing with it for now!