New Guy & a 27 sport

Notices

New Guy & a 27 sport

Old 04-16-2022, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Guy & a 27 sport

Hey all:

I’ve been lurking around for a long time, registered for a short time, and posting for the first time. I just acquired a “HUGE PROJECT”27 sport. I am wondering if y’all can tell me what resin was used by Magnum in that time period? 1971 according to the title. I can’t find the hull ID plate anywhere on the boat so I’m going with what the title says.
im sure this will be the first of many many questions to come.

Thanks guys
C.W.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Standard polyester with roving id use the same with knytex 1708 mat but perp with the grinder is key all other magnum issues reach out to mark. H2ofshore he is the baseline on all magnum knowledge
The following 2 users liked this post by ironhead:
Lee (05-04-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (04-17-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 11:07 PM
Registered

Thanks man!!
Old 04-17-2022, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Congratulations on the acquisition of one of the most iconic sport boats ever made.
Another person who is a treasure trove of information is mrvinyl.
I can never remember the year that putting the HIN on the transom (upper right hand side) became mandatory but it's either 71 or 73.
I think I've seen here elsewhere that before that time frame Magnum used to put them somewhere inside the boat. Maybe someone else can help you with this.
Make sure to put up some pics when you get to 10 posts .
Old 04-17-2022, 09:36 AM
Registered

I have been looking for a project boat for quite a while. I had a few different hulls on the short list. I found this boat by accident really back in October. I didn’t pull the trigger then for various reasons. The owner had 2 of them, and they haunted me all winter. I spent way to many hours searching the internet for a hull, always coming back full circle to one of these. Well two weeks ago we touched base again and I got one.

I dont know any history on mine. It is ( don’t know if it was born that way) an outboard boat. I’m personally not an outboard guy, But the boat can always be changed. The Other one I think, key word being “think” was the boat “Sea Wraith” owned by a fellow named Jim . The comments, stories, and names I’ve heard in conversations, and read on the web fit all together. Please correct me if I’m wrong and it’s not that boat.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madbouyz
Congratulations on the acquisition of one of the most iconic sport boats ever made.
Another person who is a treasure trove of information is mrvinyl.
I can never remember the year that putting the HIN on the transom (upper right hand side) became mandatory but it's either 71 or 73.
I think I've seen here elsewhere that before that time frame Magnum used to put them somewhere inside the boat. Maybe someone else can help you with this.
Make sure to put up some pics when you get to 10 posts .
look under dash in magic marker is hull number prior to numbers being stamped in right rear corner of transom , im thinking 1976
Old 04-17-2022, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dubby
I have been looking for a project boat for quite a while. I had a few different hulls on the short list. I found this boat by accident really back in October. I didn’t pull the trigger then for various reasons. The owner had 2 of them, and they haunted me all winter. I spent way to many hours searching the internet for a hull, always coming back full circle to one of these. Well two weeks ago we touched base again and I got one.

I dont know any history on mine. It is ( don’t know if it was born that way) an outboard boat. I’m personally not an outboard guy, But the boat can always be changed. The Other one I think, key word being “think” was the boat “Sea Wraith” owned by a fellow named Jim . The comments, stories, and names I’ve heard in conversations, and read on the web fit all together. Please correct me if I’m wrong and it’s not that boat.

Is it a 27 that's been converted to outboards on a bracket or is it one of the Canadian Magnum 27 Center Consoles made under license in Canada ?
Neither of the 2 27 Mag models were available from the (US) factory with outboards that I know of .
Old 04-17-2022, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Dubby, Hello My name is Jim and I owned the 1973 27 Sport Sea Wraith before it was butchered up and made into a "center console". The Sport was completely re-done , wiring, pumping hull and deck Imron paint, interior 3 man drop seat bolsters, dropped floor, new motors, Roger Munn power Trim for the Volvo drives before I sold it. Under the white paint was the new Purple Imron color. A Gentleman named Parnell picked up both hulls in NJ and brought them back to Western MI. he was going to redo the boats,, but sounds like it never happened. the Serial number on my Sea Wraith was done in Sharpie under the console.
Ask me any questions you like about the Sport .Thank you Jim
The following users liked this post:
rak rua (04-18-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

^^^ Boom , there ya go !

The following users liked this post:
speicher lane (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 03:10 PM
Registered

I can’t post pics yet but when I can I will… Jim there is purple showing up around edges and scrapes in the gel. The entire windscreen, console, and deck are gone on that one so I can’t get the serial number. The name Parnell was mentioned which is where I came up with the connection.

There is a metal plate on the inside of the transoms of mine. I haven’t done anything other than pick it up yet. It is not a center console boat no. So I guess it was converted. Again I’ll dig into it more when I get home.

C.W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.