Notices

Reese Hitch Plugs

Old 11-06-2023, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 799 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Reese Hitch Plugs

Guys,

Posted this in the PQ forum, but thought I'd C/P it here as well.

Welp.... It's finally done.

I'm not totally happy with the porosity in the lettering, and I intend to fix it and reprint it. But I'm happy with it, overall, and it's along for the ride for now. I think it turned out way better than the original renderings did.

I printed this one up for a buddy of mine that bought our old 236 Sport Cuddy:

Printed this one up recently. Yes, It's spoken for. Betcha can't figure out who.....

I'm gonna work out the surfacing on this one as well. I know what caused the bumps and weird pattern.

I'm planning on doing the Etsy or Shopify thing, or something similar, labeled as "Custom" hitch plugs. I've got models for Baja and Fountain already, as well, and I can "paint" them however they are wanted and use whatever filament color is requested. They are not "painted", but multi-material, contiguous prints. I can also design models for just about any MFR/logo, boating or otherwise. Drop me a PM if you'd be interested in one.

Still trying to figure out what they'd be worth. Doing some research, I'm seeing pricing for commercial/contract 3DP work all over the map, but one recurring theme seems to be double material cost plus minimum wage for print time. It sounds reasonable for truly commercial contract work, but it would put something like this ridiculously out of touch, since they are typically a 24hr print, give or take. What do you guys think? What's a fair price?

Thanks. Brad
The following 3 users liked this post by Brad Christy:
ccarloss (11-07-2023), ICDEDPPL (11-06-2023), resurrected (12-13-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 08:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 775 Likes on 353 Posts

If the Father Son team at CIG see those you’re going to be their new Head of Ancillary Product Development. Sell them with a matching T-Shirt for $5,000……

in all seriousness those are very cool…..
Old 12-10-2023, 01:58 PM
Registered

Guys,

I've worked out most of the details in getting the print quality up where I want it. These are a few recent prints that show the variety and either simplicity or complexity that is possible.

I have worked out the specs to properly fit 2" and 2-1/2" receivers, and will soon have them worked out for a 3" receiver.

I have models for Fountain, Baja, Skater, as well, and I'm working on others, including Formula, Malibu, Outerlimits, Donzi and others. I can also work up models for non-boating representation, as well, such as company logos and the like.

I have worked out a pricing schedule, as well:

2" - $70 plus $5 per color above two.
2-1/2" - $80 plus $5 per color above two.
3" - $95 plus $5 per color above two.
Plus $15 shipping.

I will customize any model per request, within reason, at no charge. I will acquire any color filament available in the effort to match colors requested at no charge, and I have a relatively local source where I can actually lay eyes on the filament to judge the match.

For reference:

Custom Text Hitch Cover - Build Your Own (ikonicbadges.com)

And, while a bit biased, I personally think the plugs I am printing are a far superior product, as these Ikonics are attached to the hitch stub after fabrication. Mine are a contiguous print. They will not come apart. The letters and graphics appear to be affixed after fab, but they are not, and the aesthetic body is integrally contiguous with the plug stub. You can stand on these things. And they won't rust, so there's that.....

For the record, the 20+hr print time was for a 2" hitch plug. The 2-1/2 is closer to 30, and I'd suspect the 3" ones I will be printing as soon as we get the dimensions worked out will be in the 35-40hr range.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you post a pic of the Baja style?
Old 12-11-2023, 02:29 AM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

And Fountain. Yes I gotta have one!

Btw - nice work Brad and gotcha on the cig (just a good guess)

Last edited by getrdunn; 12-11-2023 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tgorbett
Can you post a pic of the Baja style?
Originally Posted by getrdunn
And Fountain. Yes I gotta have one!

Btw - nice work Brad and gotcha on the cig (just a good guess)
TGorbett, GetrDunn,

These are just renderings. I can use whatever colors you want. I can also do one for the squarish Baja logo from yesteryear, too. Or, if they've got a new one I haven't seen or don't remember....

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
madflavors26 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Pretty cool
Old 12-11-2023, 10:09 AM
Registered

Old 12-11-2023, 10:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

Mine are the farm ones....great quality and very quick turn around.....Thanks again Brad great work!!!!
Old 12-11-2023, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

I like it. Silver , black , gold

thought was base in black, outer ring and fountain in silver, and inner logo in gold.

Its for a black Yukon so if something else pops let me know and I’ll pm you about pymt.

tks
john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.