Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Skater (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/skater-42/)
-   -   Recommended set up for 28 Skater,2001 model (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/skater/107465-recommended-set-up-28-skater-2001-model.html)

CcanDo 07-11-2005 06:56 PM

Recommended set up for 28 Skater,2001 model

Thanks in advance for your help!We have worked on this 28 since last summer to make it nice.Some of the things include;graphics were removed,considerable glass work,new awl grip deck and sides,several additional gages,most of the stainless steel was sanded and buffed or at least buffed,drives were freshened,new rub rail,new carpet from miami rubber plus their rubber back was added ,and etc.The boat is back together and ready for the motors to be mounted.The 6 holes in the transom are located so the motor cannot be raised or lowered.The prop shaft is parallel with the bottom of the sponson.The motors are 2.5 EFI,Offshore,W/15"mid sections,1.87 gears,7500 rev limiters.The application is two people (340lbs.)approx.1/2 tanks fuel. The speed will be from mid to occasional max,in lakes w/2 to 3 ft. of chop.

Ryan Beckley 07-11-2005 10:30 PM

Re: Recommended set up for 28 Skater,2001 model

The prop shaft should be higher than the bottom, maybe as much as 1" with out jackplates. The 1:87 gears will be faster on top end than 2:1 but will not accelerate as hard. with a 7500 rev limit you shoulud be 105-110 mph. Be careful and good luck.

CcanDo 07-12-2005 10:21 AM

Ryan,thanks for the advise and your input.Based on posts and threads by others,you are considered proficient with baseline set up as required in my case.Therefore,I was hoping you would be one of the respondents to my question.This date I visited your web site,www.kineticsanimation.com,for the first time.The site is very professional.Several of the boats pictured on your web site appear to have jack plates.As it may be recommended prudent,I have no problem with installing jack plates on this boat.However,if that is the plan,then it needs to be done before the motors would be mounted without them.Advise is needed for the brand and model,jack plate that compliments the 28 skater with the 2.5's.

Ryan Beckley 07-13-2005 01:09 AM

the CMC Cook Manufacturing manual HD jackplate would suite you well. With the right set up and 8200 rev limit boxes your boat could run near 120mph

CcanDo 07-13-2005 04:33 PM

Hi Ryan,The model 65013,CMC Cook Manufacturing,manual HD jackplate W/2" of vertical travel, was ordered today, for delivery tomorrow.The bolt hole placement is understood to have the motors 1/2" above the original location when the jackplate is at the lowest position.The set back is 5.5".The Centerline to centerline of the motor housings is 51".Correct me if I'm wrong,the bottom of the prop shaft case (top of the skag) will be located 1/4" above a straight edge line from the sponson bottom to the "0" trim motor.The sponson bottom will be considered the area directly in front of the prop shaft,not necessarily the deepest point of the sponson.The next problem is the recommended prop.I'm sure we want to turn them out.Thanks again!!!

Ryan Beckley 07-15-2005 08:53 AM

The PROPSHAFT start at 1" above the bootom of the boat. Start raisng the motors from there in 1/8" increments. WATCH YOUR WATER PRESSURE GUAGE. 15# of constant water pressure is good for the motor. As far as props 3 blade cleavers 14.5 X 30 or 32 should work well for you.

CcanDo 07-17-2005 01:07 PM

Hi Ryan,We have the jack plates,there is a lot of engineering,material and machining in the Cook model you recommended.Plus,the price was a pleasant surprise.They are presently disassembled, while all the stainless parts and 6061 aluminum washers are ground and polished.Two additional holes have been drilled to receive the top holes in the motor bracket,for a total of 6 bolts.Total added weight is 34# per side.Speaking of water pressure,presently the water line is coming from the cylinder head to the gauge and is 1/8"+/- OD.That seems small,any debris could cause restriction and false reading on the gauge.Should we change to a larger ID line?In the prop department,we have acquired a set of 30",31"and 32".Ongoing thanks,Ryan

Havasu Cig 07-21-2005 08:25 PM

I have an 04 28 Skater with 300X's and the prop shaft height from the factory is 3/4" above the bottom measured directly in front of the nose cone.

The boat was set-up from the factory with the motors a little deep because the original owner was going to be towing his kid on a wake board (bad choice in boats for this and thus the reason for selling it with 30 hours on it :rolleyes: )

My motors are only turning 6100 rpm's at 108 mph (Merc labbed 15x33, 3 blade cleavers) because of the prop shaft height. The motors should be turning 6800 with these props and have been told that I could probably turn 34's with the right prop shaft height. I was told that the prop shaft height should be about 1.5".

Hope some of this info helps you. Ryan is a great source of knowledge on the 28 Skater, as well as some of the guys on the scream & fly board. Good luck.

P.S. Let us know how the jack plates work I will be looking for some in the near future.

CcanDo 07-22-2005 01:58 PM

Havasu Cig,Thanks for your input.You are correct about Ryan,seems like a good knowledgeable member.I assume your Skater is the one pictured in this category,it looks new.The trailer looks totally polished ----fancy.We will get pictures of the jack plates for you to look at.Also,we would appreciate knowing the centerline to centerline distance between your two prop shafts.

Havasu Cig 07-22-2005 08:31 PM

Yeah it's the one I posted pictures of in here, I could not have been more lucky when I found it. It was not advertised and the deal was arranged through a mutual friend or I probably would have missed it...

The distance between my prop shafts from the centerlines is 51 1/2 ". I have also called Peter Hledin at Skater with some quastions and he has always returned my calls and has been very helpful. He might be able to give you some info on set-up. Good luck...