Need Help From My Skater Brothers ** Calling For Fuel Tank Experts** >

Need Help From My Skater Brothers ** Calling For Fuel Tank Experts**

Notices

Need Help From My Skater Brothers ** Calling For Fuel Tank Experts**

Old 11-25-2018, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Need Help From My Skater Brothers ** Calling For Fuel Tank Experts**

Well Gentlemen need your advice on these tanks. Just purchased this boat and decided to opened up the tanks to be sure. Asked Pete about the boat but he couldn't give me a definite answer so here are a few pics...
Old 11-25-2018, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 365 Likes on 244 Posts

What is your question?
Old 11-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
What is your question?
Do these tanks need to be redone? Is there any way of telling if the newer ethanol resistant resin was used by looking at these pictures?
Old 11-25-2018, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I suspected the tanks going bad on mine, I first had fuel supply problems. The boat would lay down after about 3 miles of w.f.o.
I started at the tanks, which at the time I opened them they looked fine. I took apart the entire fuel system, one piece at a time, ultimately finding the 90* elboes packed with chunks of fiberglass resin.

As I was doing my research on what to do, I drained the tanks completely.
The baffles looked sound but there was always little chunks laying around. If I gad to guess the tank lids were bonded with some kinda resin paste mix then glassed from the outside. Where I could find chunks missing, it looked like the bonding goop.

About 3 or 4 days after draining the tanks the resin @ the vertical seams of the baffles started showing white lines, then turning into cracks. It appeared the resin had been compromised.
Once I took the tops off, it was pretty obvious, the baffles were like rubber, the tank itself never seemed real soft, but the danger is the gas getting thru the barrier coat and ruining the core.

I do feel I lucked out and my timing was good. another season and I might not have been so lucky.

Last edited by Nice Pair; 11-26-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:47 PM
Registered

When running hard there is no drop in fuel pressure or performance. I've also pulled the fuel system out and inspected both water/fuel seperators and inline filter and it's not showing any signs of breakdown. Not sure how much ethanol fuel has been in these tanks if any at all. I guess my next question is there any noticable difference in color between the new vs old resins? Or do they visually look the same? Can one look at it and say yupp that's the new good stuff? The boat is VIN'd as a 2007 and was layed up in 2006 so it's right at the time where Skater switched material.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

My experience with my 2002 28’er was just like NIce Pair’s. Chunks of resin in the 90 degree elbows and power loss. If Pete doesn’t know and it’s around the time they change to ethanol resistant epoxy it’s hard to say.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As you stated, you purchased the boat. There's only one person that knows. Run the boat maintain your fuel system, keep an eye on the filters, pull the top elboes once a year and inspect them. It doesn't happen over night. ;-)

Have fun, NP
Old 11-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

First thing to do is eliminate the 90 degree elbows they use along with the plastic pick up tubes. They suck. I had custom stainless steel oversized pick ups made that come up straight thru the top of the tank. Used all sweeping fittings with 3/8" pipe/1/2" hose to the filter.
I run OBERG fuel filters that you can take apart to clean and inspect. I have pics of them in my thread. I highly recommend them as they tell the story of what is going on. One other thing you can do is tap the bottom of the tanks through the plates and scrap the bottom. Normally the start getting soft and do not have that solid sound.
Like they said. this happens over time and not over night.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
First thing to do is eliminate the 90 degree elbows they use along with the plastic pick up tubes. They suck. I had custom stainless steel oversized pick ups made that come up straight thru the top of the tank. Used all sweeping fittings with 3/8" pipe/1/2" hose to the filter.
I run OBERG fuel filters that you can take apart to clean and inspect. I have pics of them in my thread. I highly recommend them as they tell the story of what is going on. One other thing you can do is tap the bottom of the tanks through the plates and scrap the bottom. Normally the start getting soft and do not have that solid sound.
Like they said. this happens over time and not over night.
POST #301 (BTW, incredible thread with impeccable details)
30' Skater Project Let the Journey Begin

Last edited by speicher lane; 11-26-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Registered

Ok thanks guys appreciate the time, info and help.!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.