Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
My new 28 skater >

My new 28 skater

Notices

My new 28 skater

Old 12-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Some upgrades to my 28. Added Trim Sync Race Edition and paddle switches to control synchronous engine trim with one set of paddles and the other set sets my trim presets - one preset an neutral and the other approx. 2 degrees negative.

Last edited by Taboma; 12-07-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Registered

I was inspired by Ron (Double Rigged) with his X-Act laser gear case height tool, so I thought I would build my own. It uses a X-Y axis plane laser. Seams to be very accurate and shows a line down the gearcase. What I found out is that the tip of the gearcase is not concentric with the propshaft like I always thought.

The green lines that not horizontal or vertical are just reflections off the gel coat. The horizontal and vertical planes are the direct projections.

The green line (horizontal plane) projected down the gearcase.

Very easy to align the laser with the horizontal laser plane projection.

Last edited by Taboma; 12-07-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn Dave, Nice job. It is really a great way to do it. For the money the way he sells it not a bad deal! I found the same thing regarding the front of the gearcase.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

[QUOTE=Taboma;4662641]Some upgrades to my 28. Added Trim Sync Race Edition and paddle switches to control synchronous engine trim with one set of paddles and the other set sets my trim presets - one preset an neutral and the other approx. 2 degrees negative

You will love the trim sync, what a great addition. My 28 had separate switches from the throttles, so before the addition of the throttle switches and the trim sync, I needed a hand for the wheel, one for the throttles, and one to trim 2 motors separately. Way better and safer. I had never seen the paddle switches before.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job David. I would expect nothing less from you!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Registered

Had a little cabin fever from our snow storm, so made a gearcase work stand.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

nice job my friend! Did you build it from scratch or modifiy existing stand? I want one LOL
Old 01-06-2019, 08:33 AM
Registered

Ron, Built from scratch. I can give you the plans or, if you can be patient, I'll make you one. Didn't take too long to build. Funny weather here 5 inches of snow on Friday - boating on Saturday, 65 degrees
Old 01-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nastybug
Yea Ron, As you all know Im new here and just stating my situation. Latham has a great reputation and Im not trying to steer anybody away from them. Skater was going to build a box around it and Im sure it would have worked great. The pump does need airflow around it as it must give off some kind of heat. Pete did speak with Bob I think and He was sending a different pump just never arrived. When he found out about this other option that has been used before I guess he just decided to use this new other company that I don't personally know the name of. No custom sound proofing needed. And As I said it may have been one bad unit from Latham. I know they're Leaders in the industry and do great work. The pump we had was a constant running situation. As soon as the key went on there was a considerably loud humming noise from the pump that was mounted up in front of the bulkhead where the kick plates are for the driver and front passenger.There is no way I could have lived with it. Im sure Latham will address it and fix it if it is a design issue. I like the idea of a pump on demand. Sounds Like It may have worked for me. The one I had was definitely not on demand so it sounds like a direction I would definitely try. Once again I would have no problem trying any of Lathams products. They're very reliable and have a great reputation. Steve.
I run seastar power steering in mine. works on demand. with the capilano helm about 4 turns lock to lock. one handed steering with ease at all speeds.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Amazing setup. Im lookjing at cutting some water ramps into my 28. I am wondering where exactly they go on the hull in relation to the gear case. Do they go directly in front, - in the vertical of the X dimension?
Cheers
Aaron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.