Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Skater (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/skater-42/)
-   -   New 318 Flatdeck Widebody Outboard build. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/skater/320330-new-318-flatdeck-widebody-outboard-build.html)

Nastybug 11-19-2014 03:55 PM

New 318 Flatdeck Widebody Outboard build.

Hello All, Nastybug here. Been reading for a while. Lots of great information on your site. Its been very helpful in helping me make some decisions. Ive been messaging back and forth with Rayzor who has also been a great help. He suggested I post the build of my first Skater on this site as it would be of interest to some of you and there is a great group over here that could be very helpful at times.

So about a month or so ago I purchased a new Skater 308 flat deck outboard. It was still in the mold. Then about a week ago I met with Pete and Tony in Key West at race time and after some brief discussion decided to make that same boat a Wide body and also had the transom strengthened for extra motor weight in case a third one makes an appearance. They already had one out of the mold and widened plus strengthened transom. It is actually farther along than the original one i had contracted for. Currently the hull has been widened 10". It still has a long way to go. I have some pics of it from the factory but being Im an idiot I have no idea how to get them on the site. I will get them on when Im back in NJ this weekend. Tony recently Measured the transom and counted approx 10'1". The deck has to be added and the finished product is supposed to be 10'2" beam at its widest point. Im told very wide and that the extra beam would be worth it. We will see what happens as I know some times things get shaved down a bit during the building process. Whatever the final measurements are tunnel will be 10 inches wider. I will put more info on as I get it. All of your feedback would be greatly appreciated as this is my first Skater and Im sure Ill stick my foot in my mouth a few times at least during this process. Looking forward to becoming one of the family. Thanx Steve.

Taboma 11-19-2014 04:20 PM

Great Steve! Your are going to love your new boat! I built a 28 Skater last fall and winter. It has bee a blast and I really love it. Dale is a great resource as you know. You may want to look into adding power steering. I did it and it is the bomb. Good luck! David

Nastybug 11-19-2014 04:36 PM

Hey David, Thanx for the info. I had Hydrolic steering on my last boat that was a 21 foot checkmate outboard. How does the power steering work for these boats. haven't read anything about it yet. Can you order right from factory with build. Steve.

Taboma 11-19-2014 05:18 PM

I am sure that Skater can source it. I added mine. I had Paul Everett at Everett Performance (Zeiger Engineering) get the components for me. Mine came with Zeiger rams, plates and tie bar. I feel that Zeiger is the best stuff. I think that Dale will agree. It requires an open helm which is a valve (Char Lynn Valve) rather than a Helm pump like non-power steering (Capilano Helm). The Verado pump is a continuous pump like a car or inboard boat uses. I gives a more positive feel than the "Sea Star' types that are on demand boosters for the "Capilano" type helm pump. The power steering makes the steering effortless, one finger operation! I also added a tilt helm which helps getting in and out of the drivers seat. All great improvements to the boat. David

Nastybug 11-19-2014 05:54 PM

Thanx David, Sounds very cool. I'll definitely investigate it.

Skater30 11-19-2014 06:49 PM

Glad to see you made it on here Steve! :ernaehrung004: Looking forward to your build pics. :nicethread:

Double Rigged 11-19-2014 06:52 PM

Hey Steve, Sounds like an awesome build! I am sure you will get a lot of advice on how to build the boat LOL! I am sure a lot of us me included to see how it turns out weight wise and if Pete can get it to run with the Doug Wrights.
My advice would be to pay real close attention to weight, and the balance (CG) of the boat. Especially if Mercury comes out with new motors. Regarding the power steering I would look at the Latham systems as well. They offer a full power system too. New Mercury motors may have built in steering with power assist.
Lastly add a ballast tank!!!!
Look forward to seeing the build.

Skater30 11-19-2014 07:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Taboma (Post 4221988)
I am sure that Skater can source it. I added mine. I had Paul Everett at Everett Performance (Zeiger Engineering) get the components for me. Mine came with Zeiger rams, plates and tie bar. I feel that Zeiger is the best stuff. I think that Dale will agree. It requires an open helm which is a valve (Char Lynn Valve) rather than a Helm pump like non-power steering (Capilano Helm). The Verado pump is a continuous pump like a car or inboard boat uses. I gives a more positive feel than the "Sea Star' types that are on demand boosters for the "Capilano" type helm pump. The power steering makes the steering effortless, one finger operation! I also added a tilt helm which helps getting in and out of the drivers seat. All great improvements to the boat. David

I couldn't agree more David! Steve builds the best steering components on the market. My 28 has all Zieger steering, and both the steering and trim systems on the ASD7s on my 30 are all Zieger components.

Skater30 11-19-2014 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Double Rigged (Post 4222040)
Hey Steve, Sounds like an awesome build! I am sure you will get a lot of advice on how to build the boat LOL! I am sure a lot of us me included to see how it turns out weight wise and if Pete can get it to run with the Doug Wrights.
My advice would be to pay real close attention to weight, and the balance (CG) of the boat. Especially if Mercury comes out with new motors. Regarding the power steering I would look at the Latham systems as well. They offer a full power system too. New Mercury motors may have built in steering with power assist.
Lastly add a ballast tank!!!!
Look forward to seeing the build.

Speaking of weight, have you got a weight on your 28 yet Ron? I'm really curious to know where you're at. It seems like I'm the only one in the world that knows exactly what his Skaters weigh! Lol

skate 11-19-2014 07:04 PM

There is not much room between the front and rear seats on the 308. I would have Pete move the rear seat bulkhead back 6" and dash bulkhead and dash forward 6". This will give you some room to get around between the seats. Also have the foot rest movable or custom placed so you can reach it to brace while running. I would set up dual trim and Jack plate controls with lock out so you can throttle and let someone drive. Watch placement of the steering wheel sometimes it is mounted too low on the dash. I would recommend going to Douglas and sitting in the boat and having them custom set up foot rest steering and gauges.

Hydraulic Jackplates are the bomb. You also may want to consider thru hull pickups as when you get the motors up on the plates and running hard the water pressure becomes an issue even with the water ramps in the hull. Pop up dictators are much easier to read than the mercury racing vessel view. Also my 308 is very light in the bow. I would consider moving the batteries in front and tanks forward.
Twin 300XS are going to max out at 100-102. Trips or something "stronger" would make it more fun.
Make sure they put fender pins on the deck also.

Congrats on your build you are going to love the boat.