30' Skater Project Let the Journey Begin

Notices

30' Skater Project Let the Journey Begin

Old 02-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossman
Double rigged,

Your display of attention to detail and craftsmanship on this boat is truly second to none. A pioneer in the rehab / restoration of a boat. I have been looking at this thread for ideas as I work on my 32’ skater. Very nice work and thank you for the great documentation of it all.

-Ross
Thanks for the compliment! Just love working on these things and always trying to tweak it!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I have enjoyed this entire thread!!! Thanks for sharing and all the contributions from others.

In the area of cutting the transom to increase waterflow to the Lower Unit, did you ever consider mounting "fences" at the tunnel step to keep the air pressure from blowing out the water ahead of the pickups? I see a lot of later model boats now using this method of keep the airflow clean all the way to the rear part of the hull... so I was just wondering.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IDLife Express
I have enjoyed this entire thread!!! Thanks for sharing and all the contributions from others.

In the area of cutting the transom to increase waterflow to the Lower Unit, did you ever consider mounting "fences" at the tunnel step to keep the air pressure from blowing out the water ahead of the pickups? I see a lot of later model boats now using this method of keep the airflow clean all the way to the rear part of the hull... so I was just wondering.
Yes actually have and we tried it on a brand new 308 last year that was built. It is Jimmy Kirklands boat with twin 400r’s. However to date with no official testing completed it does not seem to really do much regarding the water flow. Some of the guys that race say it helps the boat in the corners. i believe he has a thread in here also.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Registered

Well after some stalling issues shifting around the docks I decided to do a reed inspection. At 185hrs there was some wear and rubber dertioration on the cages. Definitely could contribute to the problem.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I had CCMS do their reed cage mods last winter and also run their reed sets. There was a noticeable improvement at idle.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with rubber is that with fuels, it will always break down. A way to fix this issue is to remove the rubber, clean the metal cage and dip the cage in ProSeal, then lay the cage on a sheet of glass, with a smaller cut piece weighted to the top side creating a perfectly flat sealing surface. Trim as needed for airflow with a fine X-Acto blade and if you started with a truly cleaned surface, they will last as long as the reed itself.

ProSeal is a fuel sealant used to build tanks in the wings of aircraft, seal aluminum panels and retain sealing on pressurized windows for nearly every aircraft made in the world.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Registered

Default Reworked Cages w/new Mercury CF Reeds

Old 05-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Registered

Reed update. Motors run great with new reeds and machined reed cages. Idle perfect. Well worth the work
Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Registered

New Project underway. With a new interior comes new cockpit JL Audio M6 speakers with LED’s and new lighting project underway. Awaiting parts from Lumishore. Stay tuned for some new cool stuff with full color change, multi zone cockpit lighting tied to my underwater lights controlled through my Garmin GPSMAP 8612.

JL M6’s custom painted rings

Last edited by Double Rigged; 05-05-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Really sharp interior!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.